Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter the MCC tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Please follow the steps below to enter your "MCC tax credit" Mortgage Credit Certificate:

If you have already started or are in your return,

1. Select the “Federal Taxes” tab
  2. Select the “Deductions & Credits” tab, then select “I’ll choose what I work on
  3. Scroll down to the “Your Home” section, then select Start or Update - Mortgage Interest Credit Certificate
  4. Answer “Yes” to “Do You Have a Mortgage Credit Certificate” and select “Continue
  5. Continue adding the information requested on the following screens from the certificate(s) you have and select Continue when finished with each. For the mortgage interest field, only enter mortgage interest that was for the loan covered by your certificate (do not use interest from other loans).
  6. If you have more than one certificate, select “Done” when you have finished entering all of them, then press Continue.
  7. On the “Qualified Main Home Address, enter the address of the home that you received the Mortgage Credit Certificate for, and select Continue

Deducting Mortgage Interest FAQs:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Home-Ownership/Deducting-Mortgage-Interest-FAQs/INF12...

alykoz

Can you use the free version to insert the MCC?

Ya can you use the free one to do this part?

I tried to enter the mcc certificate and it says that I need to upgrade to delux
abreton7

Still not fully understanding the answer on Mortgage Interest Field.  By this, you mean the full interest portion of the original loan (i.e. years ago)?  That field comes with no instructions and my MCC does not have a field for that specific piece of information (at least not an obvious one).  

The actual IRS form  for the Mortgage Credit Interest (Mortgage Credit Certificate) interest is 8396.  The 2 boxes I had trouble with were with the Credit Rate and Mortgage Interest boxes.  The Credit Date can be found on the actual MCC. mine was 20%. The Mortgage Interest  is the amount you paid towards interest in wichever year you are filing for. It can be found on your 1098 form in box 1.

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Did you receive a Mortgage Credit Certificate? If yes:

To get to the Mortgage Credit Certificate questions in TurboTax

• Open (continue) your return
  • Under Federal choose Deductions and Credits.
  • Under Your Home select Start or Revisit next to Mortgage Interest Credit Certificate

Follow the prompts

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SlyGuy

When calculating interest paid, do points paid to buy down the rate count? Essentially this is prepaid interest isn't it?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, if they were paid in 2019. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed these steps, MCC showed at my case $3,137 but it didn't apply to this year to reduce my tax liability (it forward to the next year instead), while I still owe $3,700 tax liability. Why? And how do I fix it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies