Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Please bring back the running total refund/tax due at the top of the screen

The thousands that call customer support every day to complain that the tracker showed they were getting a refund and then the amount changed as they added more income or credits.  You may understand but many people did not.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

An inaccurate or estimated refund meter creates more problems and anxiety than an invisible refund meter.   Once you fully go through the return one time and all sections have been visited, and the federal review is run, the refund meter will appear, but not before then.  Using the refund meter to see how changes affect your return is encouraged.   TurboTax has made the refund meter available to you once it can be a benefit to you, and has hidden it only during the times it can hinder you.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The root of the problem is expectation and not the meter itself imho. How about giving  users the option to show it, explicitly indicating that it’s  ESTIMATED and not final until all entries have been made? By default it won’t be displayed to users to reduce the load on support. 

it’s educational for me to see the impact of the entries. I feel blind not having it. Like someone trying to lose weight without a scale. It might not be my precise weight but it’s directional. 

you took away a valuable feature of turbo tax that other software has so I will be looking elsewhere..there is a lot of value to see the impact of line by line additions/deductions to your income...I have no idea why you would make an assumption that users do not value this feature or don't understand what it means.

they took a big assumption that most of their users are not bright enough to figure out what the impact of income and deductions does to their tax numbers...and they assumed it wasn't valuable information to us as we go through the process...i have used it for years and am an accountant and i will not be using it next year..all your competitors give this info ...you don't make a change like this 

It was not an assumption it was based on all of the calls from people who did not understand, and thought that TurboTax was stealing their refund.

It should NOT be necessary to "Jump Through Hoops", wasting time to see information that was previously obvious. The program needs to be reinstated as it had been for decades.  This is just another unnecessary "Rabbit Hole".

New users are the ones who need to know this the most.  I have been using TurboTax for 30 years and I am having the same NEW problem.  TurboTax,  PLEASE fix this.

sshuss9

I so agree. This is frustrating, and why are you removing features?  

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the refund/taxes owed indicators - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/customer-complaints/dont-see-tracker-sho...

It’s happening to everyone I know who uses Turbo Tax!

Was this FAQ created 5 days ago? I didn’t see it 3 weeks ago haha. Regardless, feels like a decision made for Intuit and not for the customer.

I get TREMENDOUS value out of the feature. I’ve learned so much over the years about the impact of my income and deductions because of it. I really hope Intuit will bring it back as an option. Based on the reactions and views in this thread, seems like many people would love it too. 

So many misleading or totally incorrect answers in this thread.

I finally confirmed the fix:  After entering your personal info and Income, Click on Federal Review and follow the prompts all the way through the end of the review.  Once the review completes successfully, the running total 'magically' reappears on top.

Intuit should be ashamed.  This is absolutely stupid and has wasted so much time trying to figure out.  

No such item on my screen:

"above the green progress line and see Explain my taxes" ... can't click on an arrow next to words that don't exist until MUCH later in the process! Not until AFTER you've entered almost everything! Make the running total an option at the very least, for those of us that have used TurboTax for many years, PLEASE???

this does not exist, at least not on macOS using Firefox..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies