turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clibis

payment

Why is it that I am told I have one free state tax, yet I must pay for the one state return I file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

payment

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download edition of Deluxe or higher then you receive one free state program download included in the purchase price   This does Not include a free state e-filing.  The state e-file charge is currently $24.99 for each state tax return e-filed.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

jlfunck

payment

When you select the state to file it will ask you if you want to use that state for your free flie

payment

The CD/download may contain the preparation of 1 state return in the package. The package does not include the efiling of the state return which is extra.  This is different from the online product for which you must buy the state tax preparation and the cost includes efiling the state return. 

payment

@jlfunck wrote:

When you select the state to file it will ask you if you want to use that state for your free flie

TurboTax website for the desktop CD/Download editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Click on the link 1 state download and then scroll down to the bottom of the open window

* Additional fees apply for e-filing state returns ($24.99). E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns. All prices are subject to change without notice.

TTD State E-file charge.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies