Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Panic! All of a sudden lots of data is missing from my Federal Income section

I have spent may hours on my Federal return and run through the check process several times. I was ready to file Federal and decided to prepare my state taxes first, so I could submit them both today.

After running through the state, NOW much data is shown as missing in my Federal Income sections, like 1099-R, 1099-DIV, etc etc.  FREAKS ME OUT.

This is all in ONE single session.  How do I go back to a prior copy of my data?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

OK, I found a solution on my own and my heart rate is back to normal, almost.

SOMEHOW, the criteria for the Federal Return checks CHANGED DURING THE MIDDLE OF MY SESSION.

Dear TurboTax, this is bad business.  You can cause your clients to freak out as I did.

You run it once and everything is fine. You run it again, and it spits out lots of severe messages.

PLEASE, PLEASE do not change this during the day. 

Don't you follow the (industry standard) of using a 'maintenance window' for releasing changes?

Evidently not, but it would be a good idea.

It might be too much to ask, but our business practice is to announce/warn clients of significant program behavior changes that can/will result from new software versions. 

I would be glad to help you with adopting this practice.  Free of course.

David

Now data corruption is happening!!!!

There are names appearing in the self-employment category that are investment companies.

WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH MY DATA???????????????

NOW the entire 1099-MISC section has disappeared from my Federal Income section.

WHAT IS HAPPENING????????????????????

I found the 1099-MISC section was moved to another area of the Federal Income section.

I had three 1099-MISC. IN one the data was removed and placed into another of the 1099-MISC, which I had previously DELETED.  The deleted name was restored and populated with the data from an 1099-MISC that I did not delete, and zeroed out on the one I did not delete.

WOW!  You have some serious bugs!

Further Information:

The 1099-MISC which I deleted and seems to have caused this corruption, now shows up as a name under "SELF EMPLOYMENT INCOME" in the Federal Income section.   HOWEVER, there is NOTHING in the details of the Self Employment Income section for that 1099-MISC!!!

Are you sure you don't have more than one TT account?  TT Online autosaves, so nothing changes unless you change it.  Could someone else have had access to your files?  Anyway, I am flagging your question for the Moderator.  Most of us here are other users, not TT employees.

Hello- as SweetieJean has pointed out there may be more than one account coming in to play if you have TurboTax Online. If you were using TurboTax Desktop, there may be more than one version of the file saved. 

Of course, these are just possibilities and I would need a bit more information to assist further. If you would rather have immediate assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out at 1 (800) 446-8848 and an agent will be able to directly access your return to diagnose the issue. 

Not True. I have recreated this problem.

In order to get out of the first instance of this problem, I deleted the entire State Form and then fixed the mangled 1099-MISC entries.  One minor error I could not correct.

So that I would not lose my Federal info again, I filed it.

Then I started the State form again, and voila!  It mangled the Federal data again the same way.

Now unfortunately, I have to do all the unscrambling again!!!

AND, i suspect that I no longer have a data file that matches the Federal filing that I just submitted.

This is very frustrating.

I am not using two versions at one.

I used TT desktop a few weeks ago, but I guarantee you it is not still running.

The TTonline error was re-created as I described in an earlier post.

I should not have to debug your software.

This is a clear, re-creatable error.  When the state form is started, prior Federal information which was deleted, gets restored but with missing data.  Further, some of the names of the forms get added to the wrong sections of the Federal Income components.

I have not had this problem since working on 2021 taxes, so as far as I can see, it has been resolved.

Before closing this issue, it would be nice to know if there was an intentional change to corrent it, or its absence is merely a lull before it could re-appear after it want away for an unknown reason.

Turbotax is not the only tax prep software available for your tax filing.

@despenla 

I have tried others in past years but found them severely lacking.  I expect they too have advanced significantly.

Which did you find useful and for what general uses, business or home?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies