Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

r778899d
Returning Member

Paid excess RRTA 2 taxes through 2 employers. What do I do with the form 843? Does it go with my 1040 or mailed separately?

I paid a little excess RRTA 2 taxes as a result of having two railroad employers. I have the form 843 and the worksheet but am not sure what to do with it. Does it go with my 1040 and my tax payment? Or does it get mailed separate from my taxes? Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Paid excess RRTA 2 taxes through 2 employers. What do I do with the form 843? Does it go with my 1040 or mailed separately?

If the error was due to having multiple employers, you do not have to do anything with the 843.   You only need to file the 843 if the excess (SS & RRTA Tier 1) was from a single employer.  

For the tax year 2019, you'll have excess Social Security or RRTA Tier 1 withholdings if the sum of multiple employers' withholdings exceeds $8,239.80 per taxpayer.  You don't need to take any action. We'll automatically add the excess to your federal refund or subtract it from federal taxes you owe, whichever applies.  You can view your tax return and see the excess; it will appear as a tax credit on Line 11 of your Form 1040, Schedule 3.

The answer above only applies to social security and RRTA Tier 1 taxes. 

For any RRTA Tier 2 tax excesses from multiple employers or a single employer that doesn't adjust overcollections, you will need to complete Form 843 and mail it in separately to the service center where you would be required to a file a current-year tax return.   See instructions, page 3.

Use Worksheet 3-3 in Publication 505 to help you calculate the credit amount.  The maximum amount for Tier 2 is $4,836.30 for 2019; the worksheets may still reflect the 2018 amounts. 

Topic No. 608 Excess Social Security and RRTA Tax Withheld                                                [Edited 02/25/20 |11:00 AM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
r778899d
Returning Member

It is unfortunate there isn't a thumbs down button because all of the information you gave me is incorrect. If it was a single employer the employer would reimburse me. For multiple employers the form 843 is used to request those overpaid taxes back. As I stated, I payed railroad retirement taxes, I do not pay into social security. Turbo tax does not put excess railroad retirement taxes back into the amount due and even notified me of the need to file an 843 to have the excess returned to me. My question was not whether or not I needed the 843, but where and how to file it. I only responded to this "answer" to my question so others would not be mislead.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The answer above applies to social security and RRTA Tier 1 taxes.  For any RRTA Tier 2 tax excesses from multiple employers or a single employer that doesn't adjust overcollections, you will need to complete Form 843 and mail it separately to the service center where you would be required to a file a current-year tax return.   See instructions, page 3.

Topic No. 608 Excess Social Security and RRTA Tax Withheld

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This answer is incorrect for my situation as well.  I have multiple employers with the same EIN (separate divisions in a company).  How can turbotax to recognize them as separate companies and capture to over payment of social security tax? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies