Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

P.2 of '23 cap'l loss carryover worksheet asks for Value from 2021 Sch. D for AMT, lines7 & 15. If no separate Sch. D was prep'd for AMT, should I use reg. tax Sch. D?

I just completed my 2023 federal tax return using the desktop version of Turbotax Premier.  I also used Turbotax desktop in 2021 and 2022 and information from those returns was automatically imported into the 2023 return (except, apparently, as described below).

In reviewing the forms list, I noted that the Capital Loss Carryover Smart Worksheet (relating to "conversion" errors) indicated errors of omission.  The indicated errors are the absence of values in the following two lines:
Value from 2021 Schedule D for AMT, line 7.........._________
Value from 2021 Schedule D for AMT, line 15.........._________

Immediately above these lines is the question:  "Is this return impacted by inaccurate TY21->TY22 conversion?"  The "Yes" box was automatically checked, and the Worksheet automatically filled in many numbers under an "Original TY21" column and an "Original TY22" column further below.  The corrected amounts for several Worksheet lines for the 2022 and 2023 Capital Loss Carryover Worksheets differed by several thousands of dollars from the original amounts (i.e., those previously calculated by the 2021 and 2022 Turbotax programs).

My 2021 return did not have a separate "Schedule D for AMT."  I did not pay AMT in 2021 (or 2022) because the regular tax was greater.  

My questions are:
What numbers I should input into the two blanks described above?  Should I input  the numbers from lines 7 and 15, respectively, from the Schedule D for the regular income tax? 
Would there be any effect on capital loss carryovers/carryforwards for 2023 and later years if I simply left these spaces blank?  And why didn't the program automatically input these values while automatically inputting many other values from the 2021 and 2022 worksheets?

Finally, I am also curious about the exact nature of the Turbotax program error prompted the need for this "adjustment" worksheet and whether it could have impacted my previously filed returns.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

P.2 of '23 cap'l loss carryover worksheet asks for Value from 2021 Sch. D for AMT, lines7 & 15. If no separate Sch. D was prep'd for AMT, should I use reg. tax Sch. D?

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2023" file with the experience you described.

If you would be willing to send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information, please follow these instructions: 

In TurboTax Desktop, open your return and go to Online in the TurboTax header. 

1. Choose Send Tax File to Agent.
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click Send on this screen and wait for the Token number to appear. 
  3. Reply to this thread with your Token number and tag (@) the Expert requesting the token from you. Please include any states that are part of this return.

Once we have reviewed this experience, we'll reply here and provide you with a resolution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JWS19

I have this exact same problem, has this been addressed or resolved?  If so what is the solution and if not WHY Not!  This appears to be a program issue, kinda like the one where I could not load my Turbo Tax Disc on to my computer and ended up having to download the program.  It is unacceptable that issues like these are happening, please correct as soon as possible!!!

bbraniff

I also have the exact same issue - as do many 100's if not thousands of others judging by online searches - what is the solution to this?

QPM
Level 2

@PatriciaV How do I send the file from TT online?

Thank you.

It looks like others are already responding with the same issue; this might be worth escalating on the TT side to see what is going on. Happy to send the file, just tell me how to do it from online.

I have made several posts that show up elsewhere in the Turbotax forum.  Go to the "deductions and credits" section and search for the following:  

Turbotax 2023 Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet "TY-21->TY22 conversion"

Here is my summary of what I found:

"As I stated in one of my previous posts, my Turbotax 2021 desktop program did not generate a Schedule D specifically for AMT purposes, although it did generate an AMT capital loss carryover figure. I simply used the 2021 Schedule D lines 7 and 15 values for regular tax purposes to fill in the blanks in 2023 "loss carryover adjustment smart worksheet." (It wasn't quite as "smart" as advertised, since it didn't simply import the information from prior years' returns, which were also prepared using Turbotax.)  Inserting these values (assuming your AMT capital losses values are the same as the regular tax values--typically true) will result in correct AMT capital loss carryovers to 2023.

This problem apparently only affects early filers in 2022 with capital loss carryover. If you dig down somewhere within the "smart" worksheet (can't recall exactly where, but I remember right-clicking on one of the values to get more information), you'll get the following explanation (which I didn't discover until after I made the earlier posts) for the "conversion" worksheet:

"There was an issue fixed in early 2023 for Alternative Minimum Tax Capital Loss Carryover from 2021 to 2022. Some of 2022 returns (filed before March 1, 2023) may have brought over inaccurate information about the 2021 AMT capital loss carryover. Based on information transferred from your 2022 return, your return has been determined that it might have been potentially impacted. Although this had no impact on your 2022 tax return, we recommend double-checking your 2021 return for this information so we can get the right amount going forward."  (I filed my 2022 return in February of 2023).

When I ran my Turbo Tax Smart Check, it indicated that "Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet: TY21 Sch D AMT in 7 & 15 must be entered."  I try to resolve this error but can not find this document titled "Sch D AMT" for any of my tax years, all done using Turbo Tax.  I was wondering how do I find lines 7 and 15?  What form are they shown in?   You believe what they really meant to say was simply 2021 Schedule D?  If that is the case Turbo Tax should just say so.  Thanks for clarifying.

Same issue for me.

I've been using TT for years.  Why doesn't the software find the info it needs?  The files are all in my Documents directory.

This needs a fix!

How about a response, Turbotax support?

QPM
Level 2

I really can't understand why Turbo Tax won't figure this out and weigh in on the topic. Incredibly frustrating... I am 99% sure I have figured this out, but that was after getting incorrect information from a TT rep, spending literally hours on the phone, then consulting with two CPAs. 

This is the first time in my life I have had to file an amended return and it was all due to bad info from TT. 

I had the same issue.  Could not find anyone to address or find the appropriate worksheet.  Is the requested information just off the Schedule D from prior years?  My returns do not show/print the worksheet in question.

QPM
Level 2

I believe I had to go into the supplemental worksheets to find this (at least in one of the years). There is a process described that allows you to download the entire packet (with ALL sheets); this has been widely reported; I would also suggest you search reddit for more.

TT does not make this intuitive. You can go in like you are going to amend a prior year return, then you will find the option to download the file with all sheets.

If you have Turbotax desktop for 2021, you can find the Schedule D for AMT for that year by doing the following:

Open Turbotax 2021. From the pull down menu at the top, click on "View" and then click on the "Open Form" button.

In the search box, type "Schedule D AMT".

Select (double click) the "Schedule D AMT: capital gains and losses AMT" from the options presented and you will get the necessary form, whether or not it is among the Forms listed in the full list of forms in the column at the left.

If you have Turbotax desktop for 2021, you can find the Schedule D for AMT for that year by doing the following:

Open Turbotax 2021. From the pull down menu at the top, click on "View" and then click on the "Open Form" button.

In the search box, type "Schedule D AMT".

Select (double click) the "Schedule D AMT: capital gains and losses AMT" from the options presented and you will get the necessary form, whether or not it is among the Forms listed in the full list of forms in the column at the left.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies