Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Owe federal taxes, but couldn't file yet to wait for K-1 forms

I was very near to file my federal taxes, but I have to wait for some K-1 forms before I can do so.

I do owe some federal taxes. Does the penalty keep on adding up every day? Will it be wise for me to file the taxes first, and amend my tax filing later after receiving the K-1 forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

K-1 forms are notoriously late to arrive.  But the deadline for filing is April 18 (for 2022), so you shouldn't have any penalties accruing.  The only thing I can think of would be an underpayment penalty for quarterly estimated income taxes you owed.  

It's always best to wait to file until you have all your forms.  If the filing deadline nears, you can file for an extension.  Just know that you'll need to go ahead and make payment of federal taxes due.  The extension allows you to delay filing your return, but NOT for paying taxes owed (both federal and state).

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Big penalties start after the filing deadline.   File and pay before then.   After youu get the K1 amend.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

K-1 forms are notoriously late to arrive.  But the deadline for filing is April 18 (for 2022), so you shouldn't have any penalties accruing.  The only thing I can think of would be an underpayment penalty for quarterly estimated income taxes you owed.  

It's always best to wait to file until you have all your forms.  If the filing deadline nears, you can file for an extension.  Just know that you'll need to go ahead and make payment of federal taxes due.  The extension allows you to delay filing your return, but NOT for paying taxes owed (both federal and state).

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
allanbaca

Hi - you have a few choices.

(1) file an "Extension"  form now, or

(2) file now  and amend later.

Last year I got form K-1 late and discovered for many companies the form is Online.  Internet search for "Tax Package Support for (the company name)".  Create an account.  Your name on the account is the same as it appears in your broker account.

Example:  for Enterprise Product Partners search:  www.taxpackagesupport.com/enterprise

Thanks for your quick reply, Kat (and others)!

A follow-up question: Does the underpayment penalty for quarterly estimated income taxes that I owed accrue every day? Or they stay the same prior the tax filing deadline?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@crimson91 I don't know the answer for certain, but my bet is that the penalties accrue for each day you are late to make payment.  I mean, it's the IRS.  They aren't known for being generous about things like this.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You need to pay by the filing deadline.   Interest starts after the due date which is 04/18/23 for individuals.   You can file an extension to avoid a late filing fee/penalty, but the extension only gives you extra time to file, not to pay.   You can pay online at any time, see the link below for options.  

See IRS - Payments and Penalties

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ee-ea
Level 15

Accrual of the underpayment penalty stops on Jan 15.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies