Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

OR_FederalTaxLiability_SoftwareUpdate_R18_TY21 What does it mean?

After the update, the OR refund did drop a couple hundred dollars for me, but that's because the original amount was too high. At least I still get a refund thanks to the Kicker. TurboTax had an issue with the Stimulus payments and Oregon's return last year too, since Oregon handles them odd compared to most states. Next year TurboTax should NOT have to deal with Oregon's unusual handling of the Stimulus payments on OR-40 line 10, so it should go more smoothly (hopefully). I'll probably efile without TurboTax's help next year, though. 

I filed again this morning at 5:40 Am and I just got a message that my state return has been accepted

krazylegolady
Returning Member

So I can now refile, BUT my refund went down by $123.00???  Has anyone else had this happen?

FINALLY!!   we are all good with OR accepting.   I didn't notice any change in $

Mine went through successfully this morning. My refund amount remained the same.

krazylegolady
Returning Member

Morghan,  Did you get an explanation of why it was too high to begin with?  I have called turbo tax and the State of OR and no one really seems to know the answer.  The person I talked to at Turbo Tax just now said they will be doing an update on the 24th for OR, SC, and NC and to re-file after that.   
Super confused.

I would expect the refund or tax due to change if the software was incorrectly handling the stimulus payment

I am reluctant to refile mine as the refund amount hasn't changed which leads me to believe the software patch R18-TY21 has not been applied. I am using the online version of TurboTax which should be updated automatically

If you look at the Oregon form 40 instructions, page 14, it has you subtract the Economic stimulus payments from your Federal Tax Liability. The original version of the TurboTax OR return prior to Feb 17th didn't subtract the stimulus payments and just used the Federal Tax Liability amount copied directly from the Federal 1040.

Subtracting the stimulus payment amount from the Federal Tax Liability will make a difference for people who received a Stimulus payment and had a Federal Tax Liability that was greater than $0 and less than $7,050 (the maximum Oregon will let you deduct this year). Well, that is simplifying things a bit since the deduction amount depends on income and filing status, but the take-home message is that the update will reduce the Oregon refund for a lot of people, but not for everyone. 

I filed my tax return and indeed was lower than the original amount but i just received the email confirmation that my tax return was accepted by the state. 

Thanks everyone for ypur input and have a great weekend. 

how do people reach an actual human at Turbo Tax?....is there a secret number?.......their advertised phone # is an annoying recording that at best will send some pointless links to an email......nothing solves the _R18_TY21 Oregon state return hold

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

I apologize for the inconvenience.  Here is how you can contact us so we can further assist you.

@SUZ24

Update - though my State was accepted from Turbo Tax by Oregon on February 18th with no more rejection status... 

I checked the status of my Oregon refund at https://revenueonline.dor.oregon.gov/tap/_/#1 and it now has a status of "We’re manually processing your return. Manually processed returns take additional time. This doesn’t mean that you’re being audited. If you receive a letter from us requesting additional information, please respond as soon as possible. If it’s been 12 weeks or more since you filed your return and you haven’t received a letter from us, please call (503) 378-4988 or (800) 356-4222 to speak with a customer service representative."

- Is this what everyone else is experiencing or does anyone else have a different Oregon State status or a refund?

My Oregon return also is flagged for manually processing. It might delay the return for several weeks. I searched the forums here and there is talk about this happening in previous years. 

this happened to me last year after the OR state return was rejected numerous times.....at exactly the same time in February btw.........I believe this has something to do with the Fed stimulus $$......last year my refund came in a couple of weeks/not a long delay...........

I found an article online that had the following paragraph about Oregon "refund holds":

"We are probably not going to send out tax fund refunds until mid-February," explained Maxey. "We do this 'refund hold' as part of our fraud prevention, just to make sure that the amounts claimed on tax returns match on the forms like W-2's and 1099's. They’re not going to get their return that much slower if they have to wait an extra week for the refund."

https://katu.com/news/following-the-money/thousands-of-oregonians-unable-to-file-taxes-due-to-tax-so...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies