turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dbtaxwork
Returning Member

On the top of turbo tax it says CA Tax Due (in progress) is that due to me or I need to pay ????

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

On the top of turbo tax it says CA Tax Due (in progress) is that due to me or I need to pay ????

CA Tax due is the amount you need to pay.

The amount will continue to change until you enter all your forms and information and complete the final review.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dbtaxwork
Returning Member

Thanks 

dbtaxwork
Returning Member

When will it give the final tax refund amount ?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

When you finish entering all your forms and information and complete the final review.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dbtaxwork
Returning Member

Please I need help it will not let me start over and it tells me I need to pay in this is incorrect please help me 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can delete the state and start over IF you haven't paid for it yet or registered it (in the Free edition).  Click State in the black bar on the left of your screen.  On the Status of your state returns screen, click Delete next to your return.

If you want to start both the federal and state over, click Clear and Start Over in the black bar on the left of your screen.  You can do this only if you haven't paid for the return yet.

Mine said $271 was due as I was inputing all of my tax information but at the end after everything was submitted and filed, instead it says I was getting a California refund of $63?  am I supposed to contact the IRS and pay the $271 state tax due myself?

No, definitely do not contact or try to contact the IRS as they have nothing to do with the States aside from transfer of information. Given the past year and all with the stimulus checks (whether applicable or not), when you first open your return it might state something due to any carry-overs from prior years. Once you complete for the current year you are filing, it then does a final calculation and whatever it says at the top for a positive number is a positive number in your favor. Negative being you owe. If you are confident that you've entered everything correctly and to the best of your abilities, and you've performed a thorough review of these entries, then that is your "story" for the year. Not to worry!

ah yes that makes sense then. I had a feeling there was a final calculation after completion which bumped the negative number to a positive number in the end.  Also yes I even had someone here on base who helps us with taxes review everything I inputed as well and she confirmed everything was correct so I think I should be good.  Its just that when I got home to finally submit and file I thought that it would've stayed negative.  Lets just say it did stay in the "negative" would the amount due would have been deducted from what I'm getting as a refund from my federal tax return?

No, it just would have taken a reboot for the system to fully calculate the correct amount due to you. Always make sure you save to your desktop as well as to the online system. Glad you have help on the base!

And thank you for your service to our Country!

Oh no I  was just wondering if someone did have an an amount due what would be the process, but as for me I should be good. But yes I made sure to save a copy onto my files also you and her are both very helpful thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies