Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

Hello

I have already filed both 2018 & 2019 individual tax return. In both years, I do NOT owe & getting refund on my Federal Return, therefore, I do NOT allow to enter my bank info on 1040 Form. However, I get refund on my State Return, and I actually provide my bank info on “State” Tax Form. Base on my description, does anyone know whether IRS already had my bank account information for sending the payments ?

Thanks

Rshields

My tax return was put on hold for 2019 due to a missing w2, but when I filed, I included my direct deposit information. Am I going to receive a stimulus check with the direct deposits? Or do I have to resolve this issue first, and wait for a paper check?

arearbr
Returning Member

What if you only got a state refund via the turbo prepaid card, will the irs still deposit the check to the card? I filed both federal and state but only received a state refund.

@nooney99 wrote:

I have a question my taxes are still being processed by the irs. So will I receive my stimulus check on the current card i put in for my taxes. Or the one I had last year from turbo tax

If your 2019 refund is still processing, it will likely go where your 2018 refund went to, assuming it's still open; that just happened to me. If that account is no longer open (mine was), you'll likely be in the paper check line until you can supply new direct deposit info via the IRS Get My Payment portal on Friday (possibly later if the bank hasn't returned it yet).

@Jasonwi70 wrote:

Hello

I have already filed both 2018 & 2019 individual tax return. In both years, I do NOT owe & getting refund on my Federal Return, therefore, I do NOT allow to enter my bank info on 1040 Form. However, I get refund on my State Return, and I actually provide my bank info on “State” Tax Form. Base on my description, does anyone know whether IRS already had my bank account information for sending the payments ?

Thanks

Your post is unclear and seems to make conflicting statements. If you did NOT get a Federal refund for either 2018 or 2019, it's unlikely that the IRS got your bank info from your state return. In theory they could (most though not all state returns are transmitted thru the IRS to state tax agencies), but the IRS would have to deal with differing formats from the 40-plus states that have state income taxes and might not have access to it after transmitting it to the state; and that wouldn't help people who owe state taxes.

Zazzle
Returning Member

I have already E-filed my 2019 tax returns; my direct deposit information was also included. After my return was processed and approved, my refund was offset and taken by the treasury for defaulted student loans. As a result, nothing was sent via direct deposit to my bank. 

Does this impact the method in which I will receive my stimulus payment? Considering the bank info was listed on my return, does this ensure my stimulus payment will be direct deposited, even though my refund was offset? Or will I receive a check in the mail since the bank info was never used?

I would call a tax company. They can best answer your question.  They can't take your stimulus for student loans,but I'm not sure abt banking info.

Destiny221
Returning Member

If you put on your tax return that someone can claim you as a dependent but they have not filed their 2019 return yet. Are you possibly eligible for the stimulus deposit?

They did the same thing to me. However with the stimulus check they cannot do that to you so you will receive that. I was so upset relying on that money and the IRS took it so I got zero out of a thousand

@Destiny221 wrote:

If you put on your tax return that someone can claim you as a dependent but they have not filed their 2019 return yet. Are you possibly eligible for the stimulus deposit?

No.  If you are being claimed or can be claimed as a dependent then you are not eligible for the stimulus payment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the IRS says that only back child support would offset the payment.   if your banking info is correct you'll get the full amount you are entitled to. 

I have not been able to find an answer to this question so hopefully someone here will know.  I filed my taxes online with Intuit and chose to have the funds direct deposited.  HOWEVER I chose to have the fee for Turbotax deducted from my federal return.  This means they had my tax return direct deposited to THEIR account, then they deduct the fees, and then they deposit it into my account.  My question is does this mean they will be getting my stimulus check and if so will they know to then forward it to me (and for free of course - didn't agree to a fee against my stimulus check just my normal tax return)?  Anyone have an answer to this hopefully?

cska
Returning Member

My child graduated from college last May.  She moved out of our house into her apartment out of state when she started working at a full time job in August 2019.  We claimed her as a dependent on our 2019 tax return since she lived with us for 7+ months last year and we were paying her college tuition, room and board, food, etc until she left us.  I read that if a person was claimed as a dependent in 2019, they will not get the $1,200 stimulus payment. Does that mean that my daughter who is no longer my dependent since August 2019 will not get the stimulus payment? That does not seem fair.  That would mean that most of the kids who graduated from college in May 2019 and started their career in the summer of 2019 and were claimed as dependent and are on their own now will not get the stimulus check.  These kids are going to be the first one laid off by their employers.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@cska 

Q. Does that mean that my daughter who is no longer my dependent since August 2019 will not get the stimulus payment?

A. Actually, the answer is no. It only means she will be getting it later than everyone else.  

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of her 2020 income tax refund. This means when she prepares her 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on her 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020 (in her case, none). If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

Reference: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/coronavirus/what-does-the-stimulus-check-mean-for-your-taxes/article...

BTW, the statement "she is no longer my dependent since August 2019" is technically incorrect. She is no longer your dependent since 1-1-20.  There are no "part year dependents"

my spouse filed our taxes jointly In the past.  He passed away in 2019. When we received refunds, it was always to his bank account.  How will I be able to receive the 1200 ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies