Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and extension thread

My suggestion would be to enter your 2018 info EXACTLY from your return.  If you get past the first page you SHOULD get a page requesting your DD Info. Let me know if that works.  Have your 2018 return on hand   address SSN of filer, dob, amount owed.   If you are paying them back and COMSERV is the collection agency, you need to call COMSERV and ask them to hold your payments for 90 days.  They will, by law. 

When a tax return is "accepted" or "rejected" that acceptance or rejection comes from the IRS--not TurboTax.  The e-file is directed straight into the IRS system--which either accepts it or rejects it.

And it is not that no one is working at the IRS -- it is that they are not taking phone calls right now.  They are completely swamped with trying to process millions of tax returns and now they have the added burden of processing millions of stimulus checks.

If you had your TT fees deducted from your refund, as some users choose to do, then the IRS has to issue a check for your stimulus money.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@WriteABC  The news has it that TurboTax, H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, & other software companies don't allow direct deposit information when you owe taxes.   Why would a tax software company have you enter direct deposit information when you owe taxes.  Direct deposit is for a refund.  No tax company knew that Covid-19 was coming nor can they immediately set up for someone to enter direct deposit information. 

TurboTax did work with the IRS & even set up an app to enter your direct deposit information.  Even the IRS has an app to enter your direct deposit information.  

I don't work for TurboTax but I have used them for over 11 years, you can't blame one tax software company when all the tax software companies are in the same boat.  

People under stress like to blame someone but as for me, I won't blame someone or something when it is not true.

@WriteABC   Also, my disclaimer has nothing to due with all that is happening with the Covid-19.  The IRS tool has had allot of glitches & they also have had delays with direct deposits.  Everyone is trying their best to get people their money.

That’s actually wrong... my friend who was just over last night did a stimulus submission with TurboTax n didn’t do a 2018 taxes and the whole stimulus submission worked... which in fact is technically a 2019 filed taxes soooo that def is not true. N yes he even showed me everything so I couldn’t question it. 

Turbo tax offered to put in your DD Info on the stimulus submission... everything with mine worked n didn’t do a 2018 return...

Actually, you can blame Intuit because they provided the IRS with the tool for stimulus money and most likely provided the refund tool as well.

My mother claimed me as an older dependent in on her 2018 taxes.  She has not filed 2019 yet and I completed the non-filers form as I am a student with not enough income to file normally.  On my form, which was accepted on 4/12/20, I put that I want not able to be claimed as a dependent this year.  She received 1200 already.  Am I eligible for the Stimulus payment in this scenario.  Thank you.  

I'm learning how to do my taxe's myself. I've gotten as far as to E-File.

But it won't let me untill I have ny annual  gross income. I lost my 2018 tax forms and now I'm stuck!! Anyone out there that can explain to me how to get this without my forms?

If you are referring to your W2s, the thing your employer gives you annually that reflects your income, you can sign up for an account online with the IRS. There will be a record of your earnings. Then its fairly easy. Each box is numbered and labeled so you will know what your adjusted gross income will be.

Lucky you. Except millions of us did the same and haven't been processed yet.

Yes, it is my understanding that as long as she doesn't claim you as a dependent on her 2019 taxes you should get your Economic Impact Payment.

Although, if she has not filed her 2019 taxes yet, the IRS may be waiting to make sure she doesn't claim you.

I hope that answers your question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed my 2019 tax return back in February 2020, return is finalized, refund paid etc. At that time I had made no contribution to my IRA in 2019. Now thanks to the extension, I believe I will have money to contribute. Can I denote this contribution as a 2019 contribution, and file an amended 2019 return taking the deduction from income and receive more refund?

I was wondering the same. If I were you I would call my IRA holders and ask them. Its doubtful you will get an answer anywhere else considering the IRS call centers are closed.

Oh you could also check with your local IRS Tax Advocate Service. Although they are delayed too you may get faster help.

https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies