Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NOL Net operating loss 2022 Carryover to 2023

I am making some year end decisions today. 

I have a NOL of $2500 from 2022 from a rental.  I have net rental income of $1750 for 2023.  

Am I limited to using $1750 of the NOL against my rental income of $1750 netting me to zero?  Or can I use the entire $2500 NOL netting me to -$750 in rental income for 2023?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you elected not to carryback the NOL, then it would be carried forward in its entirety.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Please clarify that you actually have an NOL "from a rental".

Real estate rentals do not typically generate NOLs as net losses are considered passive losses under normal circumstances.

we don't know if you really had an NOL for 2022. Just because you had a rental loss does not mean you have an NOL. Other items of income and loss in your return must be taken into account.  Was AGI for 2022 negative? If not an NOL is unlikely. You can use the worksheet in PUB 536 to check. For example, if you had only $2000 in wages or other types of income and the $1750 rental loss there likely would be no NOL

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-536

You might have a Passive Loss carryover but if you used Turbotax or other software that would likely be computed ab automatically carried over when you did 2023. This would show up on form 8582 for 2022 Part VII column c

As per IRS Pub 536:

• If your deductions for the year are more than your income for the year, you may have a net operating loss (NOL). 

• To have an NOL, your loss must generally be caused by deductions from your: 

• Rental property. 

I don't qualify for Passive activity losses (PAL) as per the instructions for Form 8582 (See attached )

• Rental activities with active participation were my only passive activities
  • I have no prior year unallowed losses
  • My total loss wasn't more than 25K
  • My MAGI was not more than 100K.

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 11.58.26 AM.png

I used Publication 536, worksheet 1 to compute the NOL of $2500 for 2022.

Right I recall this thread.   @AmeliesUncle believed I had a NOL, but prior year NOLs were lost b/c I had not filed the paperwork in time.    See below.

Now I am talking about a NOL generated in 2022.  And specifically do I deduct the entire 2022 NOL ($2500) or just up to the amount of rental income I generated ($1750).    In the latter case, the remaining NOL ($750) would be carried forward.

Level 14

I agree with Tagteam.  In my opinion, it is a NOL.  That means the loss is NOT carried forward on 8582 and that you are too late to carry back the NOL.

‎September 28, 2023 12:16 PM

If you elected not to carryback the NOL, then it would be carried forward in its entirety.

Thanks @tagteam.    I reread part of Pub 536 and you are correct there is no carryover NOL to 2024 b/c the NOL does not exceed my 2023 Taxable income.

Side note on Carrybacks: as per Pub 536:

NOL carryback eliminated. Generally, you can only carry NOLs arising in tax years ending after 2020 to a later year. An exception applies to certain farming losses, which may be carried back 2 years. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies