Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New estimated tax schedule

On this page, the IRS says

The 2019 income tax filing and payment deadlines for all taxpayers who file and pay their Federal income taxes on April 15, 2020, are automatically extended until July 15, 2020. This relief applies to all individual returns, trusts, and corporations. This relief is automatic, taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify.

This relief also includes estimated tax payments for tax year 2020 that are due on April 15, 2020.

Normally, estimated taxes are due on April 15 and June 15. I understand the April payment may be deferred until July. What about the June payment? I read the above as the June payment is still due in June even though the April payment is postponed until July. Is this right, or is there more information I'm missing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlbertC

It does sound a little weird at first, but I believe that is correct. The idea is that estimated payments normally due on 4/15 are supposed to be for income earned between 1/1 and 3/31 (mostly before the shutdown). People impacted financially by the virus presumably did earn normal income during most of that period and set estimated tax money aside, but now have no ongoing income and need that money to live on. Because of the virus, they are now permitted to delay the estimated payment until July. 

The 6/15 payment is for income earned from 4/1 to 5/31. I think the idea is that if you had normal income during that period, you should have no problem making the usual payment. On the other hand, if you did not have normal income during that period, you would not owe much, if anything, in June.

Come June, you should take a close look at your situation and probably recalculate your estimated payments for the entire year. You may have slipped into  a lower tax bracket.

View solution in original post

Circling back in case anyone lands on this thread, the June payment date is also extended to July.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-extends-more-tax-deadlines-to-cover-individuals-trusts-estates-corp...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AlbertC

It does sound a little weird at first, but I believe that is correct. The idea is that estimated payments normally due on 4/15 are supposed to be for income earned between 1/1 and 3/31 (mostly before the shutdown). People impacted financially by the virus presumably did earn normal income during most of that period and set estimated tax money aside, but now have no ongoing income and need that money to live on. Because of the virus, they are now permitted to delay the estimated payment until July. 

The 6/15 payment is for income earned from 4/1 to 5/31. I think the idea is that if you had normal income during that period, you should have no problem making the usual payment. On the other hand, if you did not have normal income during that period, you would not owe much, if anything, in June.

Come June, you should take a close look at your situation and probably recalculate your estimated payments for the entire year. You may have slipped into  a lower tax bracket.

Circling back in case anyone lands on this thread, the June payment date is also extended to July.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-extends-more-tax-deadlines-to-cover-individuals-trusts-estates-corp...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies