Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My turbotax federal tax return has no suggestion for whether I have to pay 2020 estimated tax installments. I did last year but how can I be sure for 2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

My turbotax federal tax return has no suggestion for whether I have to pay 2020 estimated tax installments. I did last year but how can I be sure for 2020?

It depends.

TurboTax will automatically generate the estimated tax vouchers if you may be at risk for underpayment next year.  

Do I need to make estimated tax payments

You can also go into the program and enter your expected information for 2020 and the program will generate your estimates if needed. 

Go to the federal interview section.

1. Select Other Tax Situations 
  2. Select Other Tax Forms 
  3. Select Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes 
  4. Proceed to answer the questions as applicable
  5. Based upon your answers, the program will determine you need to make any additional estimated tax payments or not

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

TurboTax will automatically generate the estimated tax vouchers if you may be at risk for underpayment next year.  

Do I need to make estimated tax payments

You can also go into the program and enter your expected information for 2020 and the program will generate your estimates if needed. 

Go to the federal interview section.

1. Select Other Tax Situations 
  2. Select Other Tax Forms 
  3. Select Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes 
  4. Proceed to answer the questions as applicable
  5. Based upon your answers, the program will determine you need to make any additional estimated tax payments or not

Thank you.  I was able to confirm that I do not have to make any estimated tax payments for 2020.  TurboTax should consider adding a comment in their cover comments to the return that no estimated taxes are due for next year if you have paid estimated taxes in the year filed.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.  Your comments have been forwarded.

LISADEMARCO6425
Returning Member

Why is there absolutely no way to pay my 2020 estimated quarterly taxes (as an independent contractor)? Super frustrating that there isn't any option anywhere on TT's site...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies