Solved: Re: My TurboTax account comes up under my deceased...

meghellwig

My TurboTax account comes up under my deceased Husband’s name. How do I change that?

Texas Roger

Unfortunately you must open a new account in the year after a spouse's death. If your spouse died in 2018, you should still use the account you previously used since the spouse would remain on the tax return and you would file married filing jointly in the year of the spouse's death.

ajkirkpatrick121

I do not have the login information for the account created by my deceased husband. He died in Nov. 2018. How do I access our tax information?
Texas Roger

Try using the account recovery tool at this link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery">https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery</a>
Texas Roger

Marge IL

Every time I try to create a new account my old account with my husband comes up. 

WKins2

It is recommended that you open a new TurboTax account since your husband has passed away and the account should be under you. To Setting up a new account is easy, to get started here: turbotax.intuit.com

genewes1

I am not able to get into our 2019 Tax return as my husband died on 11-18-2019. How can I set up a new account in My name?

genewes1

sorry. I meant I am trying to file a new return for 2020 and I don't know how to set up AN ACCOUNT WITH just my name.

JotikaT2

You will need to create a new account with a new username and password. 

See the following link for guidance.

Creating a new return in TurboTax Online

@genewes1

AWonderous

Hi i just noticed my turbotax forms marked as deceased. But they are already filed and accepted. I did not mark someone died. How do i fix this?

ToddL99

If your e-filed (and accepted) tax return indicated you were deceased, then I would recommend filing an amended return to correct the error.

The "amended return" interview asks for the reason you are amending - enter "Erroneously reported that a taxpayer on the return was deceased."

If you are unable to e-file the amendment, then file it by mail with a short cover letter (nothing fancy) explaining why you had to amend.

Make sure you enter the correct information on the Personal Info interview. The second screen in that interview asks "Do any pf these apply to you?" and this is where the program asks about deceased taxpayers.  See the attached screenshot as an example.

Since the IRS coordinates its SSN records with the Social Security Administration, you may also need to contact them. See What should I do if I am incorrectly listed as deceased in Social Security’s records? for instructions.