turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My TurboTax account comes up under my deceased Husband’s name. How do I change that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My TurboTax account comes up under my deceased Husband’s name. How do I change that?

I do not have the login information for the account created by my deceased husband. He died in Nov. 2018. How do I access our tax information?

Try using the account recovery tool at this link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery">https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery</a>

Unfortunately you must open a new account in the year after a spouse's death. If your spouse died in 2018, you should still use the account you previously used since the spouse would remain on the tax return and you would file married filing jointly in the year of the spouse's death.

Marge IL

Every time I try to create a new account my old account with my husband comes up. 

WKins2
Expert Alumni

It is recommended that you open a new TurboTax account since your husband has passed away and the account should be under you. To Setting up a new account is easy, to get started here: turbotax.intuit.com

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am not able to get into our 2019 Tax return as my husband died on 11-18-2019. How can I set up a new account in My name?

sorry. I meant I am trying to file a new return for 2020 and I don't know how to set up AN ACCOUNT WITH just my name.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to create a new account with a new username and password. 

See the following link for guidance.

Creating a new return in TurboTax Online

@genewes1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AWonderous
Returning Member

Hi i just noticed my turbotax forms marked as deceased. But they are already filed and accepted. I did not mark someone died. How do i fix this?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If your e-filed (and accepted) tax return indicated you were deceased, then I would recommend filing an amended return to correct the error.

The "amended return" interview asks for the reason you are amending - enter "Erroneously reported that a taxpayer on the return was deceased."

If you are unable to e-file the amendment, then file it by mail with a short cover letter (nothing fancy) explaining why you had to amend.

Make sure you enter the correct information on the Personal Info interview. The second screen in that interview asks "Do any pf these apply to you?" and this is where the program asks about deceased taxpayers.  See the attached screenshot as an example.

Since the IRS coordinates its SSN records with the Social Security Administration, you may also need to contact them. See What should I do if I am incorrectly listed as deceased in Social Security’s records? for instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies