turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax transcript shows the $1700 for both the Primary and Secondary EIP payments. My actual 2nd payment was $1200. Does this affect my 2020 or 2021 taxes?

Primary EIP shows correct amount $1700.  Secondary shows $1700, but I received $1200 that round.  Do I need to file an amended return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My tax transcript shows the $1700 for both the Primary and Secondary EIP payments. My actual 2nd payment was $1200. Does this affect my 2020 or 2021 taxes?

Amend your return if you did not receive the entirety of EIP1 or EIP2 to which you are entitled.

@sweetweedkelly $1700 is an incorrect amount for the round 2 stimulus, unless it was reduced because your gross income was more than $75,000 (single) or $150,000 (married filing jointly). Round 2 was $600 for each adult and $600 for each dependent, so the correct amount might’ve been $1800 if you are married and have one child, or if you are single and have two children, but $1700 is an incorrect amount.

$1700 would be the correct amount for round 1 if you were single or head of household and had one dependent, in which case, your correct round 2 amount would be $1200.

Regardless of these assumptions, if the IRS indicated that they sent more money than you received, you will have to initiate a trace of the payment at the IRS website. You can’t obtain those funds by amending your tax return, because the IRS believes they were already paid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies