turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Shavaun_f

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

Same here. I don’t understand what happend. Have you found a way to check yet? 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus payments will be based on information from your most recent tax filings, either 2019, or 2018 if you haven't filed this season yet. But, the amount paid to you now will be reconciled on next year’s tax return based on your current 2020 situation.

So, if you did not receive your full payment, you can claim it when you file your 2020 tax return.  

You can check on the status of your stimulus payment at the IRS Get My Payment site.  Eligible individuals with adjusted gross income up to $75,000 for single filers, $112,500 for head of household filers and $150,000 for married filing jointly are eligible for the full $1,200 for individuals and $2,400 married filing jointly. In addition, they are eligible for an additional $500 per qualifying child as outlined on our Qualifying Child Requirements page.

@Shavaun_f

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Shavaun_f wrote:

I am in the exact same boat. Did you find any answers yet? 

Go to this IRS website for information (Question 29) - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#calculating

A29. Payment amounts vary based on income, filing status and family size. If you filed a 2019 tax return, the IRS used information from it about you, your spouse, your income, filing status and qualifying children to calculate the amount and issue your Payment. If you haven’t filed your 2019 return or it has not been processed yet, the IRS used the information from your 2018 return to calculate the amount and issue your Payment. The IRS is not able to correct or issue additional payments at this time and will provide further details on IRS.gov on the action people may need to take in the future.

If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child payments. We encourage everyone to review our “How do I calculate my EIP Payment” question and answer (See question 21).

Keep the Notice 1444, Your Economic Impact Payment, you will receive regarding your Economic Stimulus Payment with your records. This notice will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within a few weeks after the Payment is made. When you file your 2020 tax return next year, you can refer to Notice 1444 and claim additional credits on your 2020 tax return if you are eligible for them. The IRS will provide further details on IRS.gov on the action they may need to take.

Adia2021

Hi. This is not true. I’m using TurboTax again to do my taxes and it is not recognizing my dependents and I’m only getting the recovery rebate of $600. Nothing for my two boys. 

Adia2021

Yes that is what the IRS says but the turbotax software is not recognizing my dependents. 

@Adia2021 wrote:

Yes that is what the IRS says but the turbotax software is not recognizing my dependents. 

If you entered the child as a dependent in the My Info section of the program correctly, the stimulus payments for the child will be included as a tax credit on the federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

Go back to My Info and check all your answers carefully for the dependent.  Make sure you selected Your Child, the child lived in your home for the Whole Year, that the child did NOT provide over one-half of their own support, that there was NOT another person supporting the child in your household and the child has a valid Social Security number.

If the answers are correct then delete the dependent and re-enter.

@Adia2021 wrote:

Hi. This is not true. I’m using TurboTax again to do my taxes and it is not recognizing my dependents and I’m only getting the recovery rebate of $600. Nothing for my two boys. 

If you entered the child as a dependent in the My Info section of the program correctly, the stimulus payments for the child will be included as a tax credit on the federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

A child that was age 17 or older in 2020 is not eligible for any stimulus payments

Go back to My Info and check all your answers carefully for the dependent.  Make sure you selected Your Child, the date of birth is correct, the child lived in your home for the Whole Year, that the child did NOT provide over one-half of their own support, that there was NOT another person supporting the child in your household and the child has a valid Social Security number.

Adia2021

OMG. That was it. I forgot to check a box. The credit is showing correctly now. Thank you so much.

So, we’ve had two stimulus checks and so far my 1 year old has NOT gotten money either time. Taxes were filled out properly and dependents are on the taxes and live in my home and, despite my insistence, has not contributed to half my income. What now?

@Kdufrene62  wrote:

So, we’ve had two stimulus checks and so far my 1 year old has NOT gotten money either time. Taxes were filled out properly and dependents are on the taxes and live in my home and, despite my insistence, has not contributed to half my income. What now?

I have tested this on my 2020 Premier desktop edition using every filing status, Single, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately and Head of Household.  If every instance with a child as a dependent, born in 2019, the program added $1,100 (EIP1 $500 EIP2 $600) to Form 1040 Line 30 as a tax credit.  In the Final Review section I entered the correct amount of stimulus received for each filing status.

Single/Married Filing Separately/Head of Household - $1200/$600

Married Filing Jointly - $2400/$1200

Go back to My Info and check all your answers carefully for the dependent.  Make sure you selected Your Child, the date of birth in 2019 is correct, the child lived in your home for the Whole Year, that the child did NOT provide over one-half of their own support, that there was NOT another person supporting the child in your household and the child has a valid Social Security number.

All is correct. 

Wdilley
Returning Member

Also, I have a divorce agreement where my ex claims the child in 2020 and I claimed the child in 2019, so when I do my taxes this year 2020 I won’t be claiming my child, so how do I get my missing dependent payments when I won’t be checking the box to claim my child this year?

100% accurate! That’s where I made my mistake last year and I only received $500 instead of $2,000 for my child dependent. I put our new son lived with us for 3 months instead of the whole year since he was 3 months old and I didn’t read it thoroughly like I should have. The good news is that you can amend this online now and I received my $1,500 difference they owed in just a couple weeks. 

my check is for 215.88 and i not understanding why cause i have gotten all the other ones, i did take a hardship from my 401 so is that counting against me?

What check is for 215.88?  The third stimulus check that just came out?  Yes the 401k increased your income for 2020 and probably put you over the max for the stimulus.  How much did you take out?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies