Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

I have 4 children. Three are qualifying dependants but I didn't get any money for them. I have been trying to contact several places to just get a reason. I am not trying to complain I am just unsure why I didn't get the $500 each for them.

warrenk191
Returning Member

I received my stimulus payment today and it dose not reflect the 1200 for my spouse and the 500 for my 13 year old son i even filled out the non filers enter payment info here forms and it said theirs received them but for an unknown reason the 2 amounts are missing what should I do ?

warrenk191
Returning Member

I received my stimulus payment today and it dose not reflect the 1200 for my spouse and the 500 for my 13 year old son i even filled out the non filers enter payment info here forms and it said theirs received them but for an unknown reason the 2 amounts are missing what should I do ?

warrenk191
Returning Member

I received my stimulus payment today and it dose not reflect the 1200 for my spouse and the 500 for my 13 year old son i even filled out the non filers enter payment info here forms and it said the irs received them but for an unknown reason the 2 amounts are missing what should I do ?

@warrenk191 - 

IRS FAQ: 

a letter about the Payment will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within 15 days after the Payment is made. The letter will provide information on how the Payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the Payment.

the phone number on that letter is:  800-919-9835

I called. It is useless. The same information as online. It tells you who qualifies. 

It’s a useless endless cycle of non helpful information. Just like the letter was. 

Until the IRS puts out more information on how to handle shortages on the stimulus payment there is nothing anyone can do ... worse case is you have to wait until you file the 2020 return next year to get the missing amounts. 

@Faithyck -- i would encourage you to set tight for a few months (sorry) and see if the money does appear or call the IRS, they should be answering the phones by then,

if the uproar from taxpayers gets loud enough, Congress will demand action.  (you might call you Congressman and explain what is occuring)

Thank you. I was just curious as to whether I had filed incorrectly. 

My son is 17 years old & in 10th grade & does not work. I claimed him as my dependent on my taxes. He didn’t start Kindergarten until he was almost 6 years old because he has a late birthday plus he repeated Kindergarten.  I should have received a $500 credit for him but did not.  How do I get this money?

@Maxcookiemax - only children under the age of 17 on 12/31/19  are eligible for stimulus.  if you child was born in 2002, there is no stimulus eligibility. 

IRS FAQ: 

Calculating My Economic Impact Payment

A10. Eligible individuals will receive $1,200. Two eligible individuals filing a joint return will receive $2,400. You will receive an additional $500 Payment for each qualifying child you claimed on your tax return being used to calculate your Payment who meets the following conditions:

• The child is your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild, niece, or nephew).
  • The child is claimed as a dependent on your tax return.
  • The child was under age 17 at the end of the taxable year.
  • The child was a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien.
  • The child has a valid SSN or an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN)

We are in the same boat. Did you use the non filers portal to file and give them the children’s information? Have you heard anything yet about why you only got $2400? So confusing and frustrating.

@NCperson @Do you know how to check the form filed with the non filers portal to be sure it is correct? My husband is a 100% disabled veteran and his disability is the only income we have. We have 3 kids - the younger 2 turned 7 and 3 this month and the oldest is 15. 15 yr old is my step however she lives with us year around except the one month in the summer she is visiting her mom.

We like, so many others only received $2400. I googled a copy of the letter and the number is automated recording. I’m concerned since we don’t normally file taxes that it won’t be corrected by filing taxes next year.

@Cpreston77 -

my only suggestion at this point is 

1) wait and see if the rest of the money appears

2) call the IRS in a few months when they have the call centers operating again and inquire.

3) fill out a 2020 tax return next year so that you get the $1500.  It would be free to file

I am assuming all three children are US Citizens (or resident aliens) and all three have social security numbers - those are requirements to obtain the stimulus. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies