Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

I did not receive the $500 for my 15 year old dependent.  They deposited $1200 for me in the same acct they deposited my tax return 2 months ago.  He qualifies in all ways, they can see this by my tax return.  Who do I call?

@mfreeman1969 - the IRS is required to send you a letter within 15 days of sending you the stimulus money.  Suggest waiting for that letter to see if there is a complaint process noted in there. 

Kturpin34

I am eligible for $500 per child but have not received it. 

Seems like turbo tax took that extra $500 because alot of people who used turbo tax to file didnt get any dependent pay or didnt get dependent pay for all.....

DADavis80

My stimulus check was wrong as well.  I’m married and filed jointly with my spouse.  We have 1 qualifying dependent and we make less than $150k/year.  We should have gotten $2900.  We only received $1700.  Unlike others on this thread, we did receive money for our dependent.  We just did not receive the full $2400 for both adults.  This is odd considering my wife and I have been married for over 6 years. This should not have happened if the IRS is going by the 2018 or 2019 return.

@DADavis80 @Angel82 @Kturpin34 - I have seen press reports where dependents have been inadvertently omitted by the IRS.  The dependent needs to be under the age of 17, otherwise there is no $500 stimulus. 

the IRS is to send you a letter within 15 days after you receive the stimulus. Hopefully there are instructions on their if you dispute the amount your received.

Turbo Tax is not involved in these payments whatsoever.  They are sent from the IRS directly to you. 

@DADavis80 - not receiving the $1200 for spouse is odd.  Spouse is a US citizen or resident alien with a valid social security number, right? 

Here is the "worst case scenario" -  not ideal - but it will work itself out

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received for a spouse or a dependent), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing.
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

does that help? 

seneeves
Returning Member

Same here. And no way to correct it.

seneeves
Returning Member

@NCpersonwhen I go to my return the box "Credit for other dependents" is checked however we followed all the prompts for our kids as we normally do. This is the first time I've seen this box checked. I attempted to amend but when I go in and re-answer the questions it still comes out with this same result. Any advice?

Hello. I have a question. I received my stimulus check today but it is wrong. I have 4 dependents under 17 that I claimed under the turbotax stimulus website they setup before the IRS put the non filers website. Do you know why I didn't get the dependent money because on my return they have my dependents on file? Please help me understand this.

@katwoman0508 - there are reports in the press that there were errors with the dependent payments.  Suggest waiting for the letter from the IRS that they are required to send within 15 days of the payment to determine "next steps" 

why did you file at the turbo tax stimulus website if you also filed a tax return?  that could be the source of the confusion as well. 

@seneeves -  that check mark is a function of how you answer the questions about your children.  I've tried to 'dummy' a return to see where the problem could be.  All the questions straight forward except for one....maybe this is the issue? 

questions that get asked - for the ''child tax credit' box to be checked, I've placed the answers after the dash below

• citizenship - US 
  • number of months living in the household - at least 7
  • legal parents - the taxpayer (it's a little more complicated if this is not a joint return, but the questions are still straight forward)
  • Did <<Name of Child>> provided more than half of his support - how are you answering this question???  For most all children , this is "No, the child did not pay more than 50% of his support." which means the parent provided over half the support.  It's double negative and a little confusing.  (I messed this up the first time I tried it myself, so I wonder if this is the issue????) 
  • Did a relative help support << name of child>>? if the child is in your household, this should be "no" as well. 

also, please conform that the birth year is after 2002. (under 17 years old)

let me know what you find out as I've seen a number of others posting with the same issue. 

I didn't file twice. I went through the TurboTax Stimulus Website because I am a non filer.  I did this before the IRS put up there version of it. So, no I did not file twice just once but still I am missing money from my dependents. 

@katwoman0508 - suggest waiting for the letter from the IRS to arrive within 15 days for 'next steps'.

seneeves
Returning Member

@NCperson  My idiot husband ( we are separated) checked the box that said “SSN is not eligible for employment in the US” for both of our children. I have to amend the taxes but it’s only available to do via mail. We owe back taxes so I’m guessing we won’t get check this year but will get credit next year? And since we owe back taxes it’ll just go to that? So we will never get the check?? Will it get resent later after amended return is processed?

@NCperson  thank you very much, again, for all of your very thorough advise and information.  I know (and hopefully everyone else also does) that this has nothing to do with you or turbo tax.  I can imagine that it’s pretty tough to keep calm and patient through all of this (having to repeat yourself so many times to people who are freaking out), and I must say you are doing a fabulous job.  Thanks for all you are doing and for working during such a scary time.

Keely

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies