Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

It seems to me that they went off of 2018 even when people filed 2019 already. This is what it seems like by looking at all the comments. Cannot add to the child payment thing personally. But I have seen a lot of the people having incorrect amounts, that reflects more their 2018 return.

Correct with 17 or older but for kids under 17, the language in the TT instructions were poorly worded which may have caused people to incorrectly choose the wrong answer when asked if their child lived with them the whole year. If someone had a child born in 2019 and selected any answer besides the whole year, it automatically checked off the Other dependents box instead of Child Tax Credit. If isomeone checked off the former, they did not receive the $500. Again, they way that question was worded in TT was confusing, especially for those with children born in 2019. That question really asks if the child lived with someone else but most people took it as "well if my kid was born in September, then they only lived with me for three months" and then they selected 3 months resulting in the Other dependents box being checked when they should have selected the whole year. Selecting the whole year would have resulted in the Child Tax Credit box checked off and we would have got the $500.

That's not the case with me....I didn't even used turbotax I used a certified person to do them...and still didn't got mines and just the half of my dependent

Screenshot_20200416-140004_Facebook.jpg

This is a piece of an article from the Washington Post. Looks like there will be a way to report wrong amounts when the letter arrives. The IRS stated that they are aware with many issues including wrong amounts deposited. 

staceaz

We have four kids. Our check came back as $1660.32? Even if we didn't get ANY (we are right above the 150,000 mark) but we should have at least gotten 2000 right?

Why are the amounts so strange? 

Has anyone gotten any answers? 

My ex husband and I split claiming our daughter every year but she lives with me full time. I did not receive credit for her and neither did he on our stimulus checks because they used his 2018 tax filing because he hasn’t filed his 2019 and they used my 2019. He agrees that I should receive them credit because she lives with me full time. Who would I contact to receive the credit for her as a dependent? Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!! Very helpful!

@joygina1 

You will get the credit on the 2020 return when you file it.

IF he had already filed the 2019 return then he would have also gotten the credit for the child ... too late now. 

Hello I'm a divorced single father since 2013. I've solely claimed my son since 2013, he's 10 now, and i didn't receive my $500 child tax credit. Who should i speak to?

Missing $500 per child as well. Recived $2400 for my wife and I, but didn't receive the extra $1000 for my twin 12 year old boys. Disabled Veteran and well below income threashold. 

ATTENTION ALL WHOSE STIMULUS CHECK WAS NOT WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN :

All you can do is WAIT for the IRS letter to come in the next 2 weeks ... per the IRS :

For security reasons, the IRS plans to mail a letter about the economic impact payment to the taxpayer’s last known address within 15 days after the payment is paid. The letter will provide information on how the payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the payment. If a taxpayer is unsure they’re receiving a legitimate letter, the IRS urges taxpayers to visit IRS.gov first to protect against scam artists.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

If your address has changed then mail in a form 8822 ASAP :

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8822

tomroll21

I received my stimulus check but they based it on 2018 taxes rather than my 2019 taxes.  Probably because we did not e-file 2019 till April 10th.  Problem is I made a lot more in 2018, than 2019.  So I'm looking at a $400 check instead of a $3400 dollar one.  

Anyone know to fix this situation??!  Bumming over here.  

Thanks

I saw a post on this thread to look on your tax return. I have 2 kids and on there my first child was checked as a child credit and my other child was not checked but her info is on there. I have no clue how it ended up like that. But that may be the reason y so many turbo tax customers are missing $ for their dependents. 

Check your tax return document ...I checked my 2018 and 2019 on here with turbo tax and I was shocked to see that for 1 child it was checked for child credit. My 2nd child the box was not checked. Apparently a lot of ppl that did their taxes with turbo tax ran into the same issue and that is why they are missing $ from their stimulus.

@tomroll21 

All you can do now is wait until you file the 2020 return to reconcile what you did get in advance to what you are due on the 2020 credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies