Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

I found this in his article: https://money.com/stim[product key removed]ce-tax-refund/

The amount you get in your stimulus check in the coming months is what you get as determined by your 2019 or 2018 tax return. And next year, after taxes for 2020 are filed, the Internal Revenue Service will reassess to see if anyone qualifies to get more money based on their 2020 returns, but it won’t reassess to see if anyone no longer qualifies or should get less money.

We go the wrong amount as well. ....  who do we contact? We are married filing joint with 3 dependents, one tried 17 end of march so be may not count. GI of under 90,000. So with everything I've read, we should have gotten $2400 for the adults and another $1,000 for the two dependents under 17, totaling $3,400. We got $1,900. 

kjk1105

I am married and filed jointly and have 8 dependent children.  The amount should be $6400, but I received $5400.  How can I find out why?

The stimulus amount direct deposited into my bank account is also incorrect. I file Head of Household, have a 16-year-old, and my adjusted gross income for 2018 was below the $112,500 threshold so as that no deductions were warranted. Therefore, the total amount should have been $1,700 as opposed to the $996.50 deposited. This makes no sense provided the formula calls for a $5 reduction for each additional $100 that exceeded the threshold...or in other words, only full dollar amounts divisible by $5. They're clearly NOT complying with their own "calculator."

How do we report that our stimulus amount is incorrect as well as that additional funds are owed...$703.50 in my case? There's nothing on the 'Get Payment' website that considers incorrect amounts being provided, not even in the FAQs. 

I did not receive money for my 18 yo dependent nor did he get his refund if he’s older than 17. 

Son is 19 now. Filed taxes last 3 yrs. I claimed him as a dependent since hes a student. I didn’t receive any money nor did he if he’s not a dependent. 

Bd31333

Anyone had any luck contacting IRS about missing kids payment? 

2020 tax filing status and dependents are irrelevant. What matters is the 2018 or 2019 filing status in addition to claimed dependents.

I believe most errors are dependent-related and should be resolved eventually - right now the IRS is just trying to ensure everyone has some sort of deposit rather than the precise amount. 

@Babycakes19734 Sadly, I think the act intentionally excludes college students and their parents from getting $500.

End of the tax year because that's the standard IRS rule. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes it is irrelevant right now. But if there is a mistake and there is no way to correct it, which there should be hopefully, they will recheck eligibility on 2020 tax return next year. So be sure to check what you are writing.

Alice518

Mine is too...I did not get 500 for my 7 year old 

Alice518

I didn’t get 500 for my child either

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correction!

If someone filed 2018 and/or 2019 and they qualify now, but let's say they won't qualify on their 2020 tax return ( because for whatever reason your income would be higher this 2020 year), they IRS won't ask the stimulus check back

BUT

If someone filed 2018 and/or 2019 and they DON'T qualify OR qualify for a lesser amount, BUT they would qualify after filing 2020 return, they will get the 1200 then in 2021, or the difference between what they ar getting now and 1200.

SEE HERE:

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/will-we-have-to-pay-back-stimulus-check-2020-4

What all this means is that you could get more than what you qualify for based on your 2020 income and the government isn't going to come after you to settle the score. For example, if your 2020 AGI is too high — $99,000 for individuals and $198,000 for married couples who file jointly — but your 2018 or 2019 income is within the limits, you'll receive a payment.

If the opposite happens to be true — your 2019 or 2018 income disqualified you from getting a payment but your 2020 income is within the limits — you should be able to get your full check when you file your 2020 tax return next year.

Maryemma

I also just recently filed my 2019 taxes I got married in 2019 as well but in 2018 I filed her as a dependent. Is there a way to fix this info? I tried the check my payment on irs.gov website but it locked me out. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies