Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My refund is over a thousand less than it should be. How do I get this fixed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

The IRS will mail you a letter in 2-4 weeks.  They do not notify TT, but it could be due to the stimulus or Child tax Credit, or some other adjustment/offset.

The actual website for the irs shows they paid out over a thousand dollars more. It’s turbotax’s fault

what does "where's my refund" page say ?

First, TT never receives your refund.  Did you have TT fees deducted from it?

@marks1000rr - can you please be a little more specific than 'over a thousand dollars"?  how much is the difference EXACTLY,

Most every post on these board complaining about reduced refunds relates to the Recovery Rebate / Stimulus or the child tax credit. 

TT calculates those automatically except for one input required by the taxpayer:  TT asks how much you received for these benefits during 2021; if you did not enter a number that matched the IRS records, then the IRS adjusts your return to match their records.   So I am going to assume your issue is somewhere in this realm

1) how much was the refund reduced by.  Please be exact

2) what is on Line 30 of Form 1040

3) what is on Line 28 of Form 1040

from that we may be able to determine where the issue is without waiting up to 4 weeks for the IRS letter.

Sure, I’ll be way more specific. When I did my taxes I was informed by your company I would get a certain amount. Once it finally went through, the IRS, stated and posted on their website once checking via my social and filing status that they paid about a certain amount. Your company dropped it by a thousand dollars and kept it for yourselves. The stimulus check is why it was lowered by the IRS in the first place from the amount when doing it online that I was originally told I’d receive. So after that’s all said and done. That the IRS already took out that money they then deposited 2,092 to be paid to me AFTER they took the stimulus back. Now, your company paid me 1177. Where the **bleep** is my money?

@marks1000rr - if you want help from a community board, please leave the emotion to the side and 'lose the attitude'.  We don't work for TT, we are just here to help.

once again, if you want help to understand what happened

1) how much did your tax return state was the refund amount

2) how much did you actually receive

3) what is on Line 30 and 28 of your tax return? 

again, most every issue I see around refund reductions has to do with what was entered by the taxpaper when TT prompted for the amount that was received for either the Stimulus or the Advance Child Tax Credit.  ]

Up to you if you want help; the venting won't get you to the answer. 

ps the IRS doesn't "take the stimulus back" - what you received in 2021 is yours and cannot be clawed back.   If you requested more on your 2021 tax return, then the IRS will reduce that to match their records. 

If you don’t work for the company then there is no use in you trying to help because you cannot accomplish anything by drilling me with questions. What can help is the company fixing what they did. If you want to help then do me a solid and stop drilling me and help me reach out to the company. Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies