Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My ITIN has 96 middle digits. It was used to file 2019 taxes and it was issued in 2020 March. IRS website has confusing info whether or not it'll expire. How to verify?

I got an email that my ITIN used on 2020 taxes is expired. I'm assuming it's the e-file software that's incorrectly sending me this email and IRS will accept it. How to verify for sure before the look at my taxes on Feb 12th? And if it did expire for some weird reason, how do I correct it? Do I wait for an official response from IRS and renew ITIN with an amendment. Please guide.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My ITIN has 96 middle digits. It was used to file 2019 taxes and it was issued in 2020 March. IRS website has confusing info whether or not it'll expire. How to verify?

I called IRS and they verified that my ITIN is valid. It's the e-file software that incorrectly sent the email.

"The 96 middle digits is set to expire if it was issued before 2013" or "if issued after 2013 then it'll expire if not used for last 3 years tax return".

Both of those conditions don't apply to me. Issued in 2020 and used to file 2019 taxes.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. 

Hope my case helps someone in the same situation.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Q1: Which ITINs are subject to expire at the end of 2020?

A1: ITINs that have not been used on a tax return for tax years 2017, 2018 or 2019 will expire December 31, 2020. Additionally, ITINs with middle digits 88 (For example: 9NN-88-NNNN) will expire December 31, 2020. Those with middle digits 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 or 99, that were assigned before 2013 and have not already been renewed, will also expire at the end of this year.

ITINS expiring in 2020

Your ITIN containing middle digits of 96 was set to expire at the end of 2020.

ITINs with middle digits 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 or 99, that were assigned before 2013 and have not already been renewed, will also expire at the end of this year.

Please refer to the following link:

2020 ITIN Expiration

You will need to renew your ITIN as soon as possible in order to file your return. Please follow these instructions from IRS.gov:

To renew an expiring ITIN, you must submit a completed Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, along with your valid supporting original or certified copies by the issuing agency, identification documents and any other required attachments.

Mail the application to Internal Revenue Service, ITIN Operation, P. O. Box 149342, Austin, TX 78714-9342. See Q&A 12 for information if you do not want to mail documents to the IRS.

ITIN renewal

How do I file with a W-7?

TurboTax doesn't include Form W-7, so you'll have to download it directly from the IRS, fill it in, and print it out.

Complete your return as you normally would, but leave the applicant's Social Security Number field blank and disregard any warnings about the empty field or missing health care info for the applicant.

When your return is finished and you get to the File section, select the option to print and mail your return, as you won't be able to e-file it. Mail your return, W-7, and supporting documents to:

Internal Revenue Service

Austin Service Center, ITIN Operations

PO Box 149342

Austin, TX  78714-9342

Instead of mailing, you can also bring your printed, signed return (along with any attachments per the filing instructions, such as W-2s or 1099s), the completed W-7, proof of identity, and foreign status documents to an acceptance agent or an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

However, during a COVID-19 lockdown, these walk-in options may not be available.

Note: Taxpayers with ITINs are not eligible to receive stimulus payments unless they're filing a joint return, one spouse has a Social Security number, and at least one spouse was in the U.S. military during the tax year.

I called IRS and they verified that my ITIN is valid. It's the e-file software that incorrectly sent the email.

"The 96 middle digits is set to expire if it was issued before 2013" or "if issued after 2013 then it'll expire if not used for last 3 years tax return".

Both of those conditions don't apply to me. Issued in 2020 and used to file 2019 taxes.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. 

Hope my case helps someone in the same situation.

Mariavill

When filling a W-7 along with the return--how many years back of return can I include?

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

2017 is the oldest filing year that can be filed before April 15th.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies