turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nmclean18

My ip pin I use for my last year return is not the same as this one I thought it would be but I do have the new one how can I change it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My ip pin I use for my last year return is not the same as this one I thought it would be but I do have the new one how can I change it

If you have NOT filed the 2019 tax return - 

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

If you have filed the 2019 tax return with an incorrect IP PIN then the IRS will reject your tax return.  You can then correct the mistake and re-file.  But only after you receive notice of the rejection.

Carl
Level 15

The IP PIN is a six digit code that is completely different from the 5-digit e-filing PIN. The IP PIN will change every year. The IRS will mail your new IP PIN each year to the address on the last tax return you filed. Generally the IP PIN should be received in the first week of Feb at the absolute latest. So you have to wait. You can not get the IP PIN online and the IRS will not issue it over the telephone to you either.

If you moved since you filed your last tax return and did not notify the IRS of your new address, then you will not get the IP PIN. In that case, you will have to print, sign and mail your return to the IRS.

Now if you did move, you should also send the IRS Form 8822 - Change of Address, in a physically separate envelope (do not send it with your tax return). Get a blank form at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies