turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Same problem.  No fix.

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

@DarrenP wrote:

Same problem.  No fix.

Did you browse through the posts in this long thread?  There are reports by several users on how they were able to proceed to efile after using a conventional USA phone number in the Intuit Account settings and in the return My Info section.

Also see this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/why-am-i-getting-601errv-5-custhdr-17...

And see this TurboTax answer in a similar thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-try-efile-but-i-get-message-invalid-sms-numb...

Thank you!  I was missing the Intuit account settings page.  What a well designed, user friendly, not complicated at all thing to have to update after 9 years.  

robcioff1

hope you are well.  Did you ever get this resolved? I am receiving the same error today

@robcioff1 wrote:

Did you ever get this resolved? I am receiving the same error today

Did you browse through the posts in this long thread?  There are reports by several users on how they were able to proceed to efile after using a conventional USA phone number in the Intuit Account settings and in the return My Info section.

Also see this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/why-am-i-getting-601errv-5-custhdr-17...

And see this TurboTax answer in a similar thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-try-efile-but-i-get-message-invalid-sms-numb...

Yeah - you need a US phone number in your tax filing AND your Intuit profile.  So stupid.

I no longer have a working US phone number and this is an actual nightmare that this still isnt working. I am not sure what to do and calling them also is not a great help. Have any of you internationals managed to make this work with an international phone number? 

truspe

I don't have a US phone number either, so used a friend's number in my Intuit account. 

I first tried with a number which is probably no longer working; filing didn't go through.

I then put in a number that I know is still valid today, did not verify it, and filing went through. 

Such a pain from Intuit. It's been 3 weeks since they know about this bug. I see their software dept is not very agile.

In my case, using a US phone number in the Intuit and Turbo Tax files (so two distinct places), it finally worked after daily attempts over a week or so.   This was post-TT saying they would fix it in a few days.  Frankly, I am guessing that any US phone number or any combination of numbers in the same pattern of same might work for you.  

Mu3

Awesome - thank you! this worked for me too. I put my old US number, which is not active now. I did NOT verify the number, and left 'receive text updates' unselected at the final stage and it worked. did the whole log out, process as well. Good luck!

jagr
Level 1

@LField's solution worked for me (I also am an overseas user, in my case I had a Japanese cell phone number).  

I do have one thing to add: simply removing the overseas number and leaving the number blank in your Intuit account does not solve the problem.  Once I added a stateside number AND verified it, the tax return went through.

Thank you, @LField, for adding your experience--it got me 90% of the way there!

I am also getting the same Issue . Do we have any solution to it ?

@maheshsabne2003 wrote:

I am also getting the same Issue . Do we have any solution to it ?

Have you read the comments in this thread?  The solution has been mentioned several times.

See if this FAQ helps any:

You have to have a valid US domestic 10-digit phone number in both the return and in the Intuit Account settings.  Or it "may"also be possible to leave the Intuit Account phone number blank.

If you browse this entire long thread, you'll see what other users with this error code did to be able to efile. 

I spent way too long trying to solve the same problem, and finally did. 
Make sure you check the number that is listed on your profile, not just on your taxes. I updated the number on my profile using a friend’s US number. I clicked “verify“ and had the friend forward the code to me. Once the number was verified, I used the same phone number on the tax forms and had no issue e-filing.

*The person’s number I used was married-filing jointly so her spouse’s number was used in TurboTax and not hers; not sure if this will make a difference or not. 

This is a very long chain of lots of people having the same problem for over a month now.

For the price Turbo is charging, you would expect that they would have at least an official response by now, if not an actual fix.

Thanks to the last few comments, there is a solution.

1) You have to use a US telephone number in both your account profile and in the tax return information section. Log-off and close browser, after making the changes, then log back in and try to E-File.

2) You do not have to click on verify number in the account profile section, it works without the number being verified.

3) If at at all possible, probably would be best to use a US number of someone you trust, because the number makes it very easy for a person to access your turbo account!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies