turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

teddy839

My e-file was rejected as my wife's AGI amount did not match (Reject Code IND-032). Is it because I used my wife's SSN while we had used her ITIN?

My e-file was rejected as my wife's AGI did not match (IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database).  

I electronically filed jointly last year for the 2016 return, and I see the correct AGI amount (of the 2016 file) while doing this year through Turbotax. My wife did not have income last year, but I think she has the same AGI as we filed jointly. I think one main difference between last and this years is that she used her SSN whereas she had used her ITIN. Another difference is that she had income as a graduate student this year. 

Is this rejection because we entered her SSN this year? She sent a letter a month ago to the IRS office in Austin, TX to update her information, so the IRS can consolidate her record to her SSN, not ITIN. Or is it because she had income income in 2017 whereas she did not in 2016? Or do I have to enter 0 for her last year's AGI? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Karen1209

My e-file was rejected as my wife's AGI amount did not match (Reject Code IND-032). Is it because I used my wife's SSN while we had used her ITIN?

Yes, enter zero for your wife's 2016 AGI since the return was filed with the ITIN, but use her SSN for this year.  

See information below from IRS.

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Karen1209

Yes, enter zero for your wife's 2016 AGI since the return was filed with the ITIN, but use her SSN for this year.  

See information below from IRS.

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN. 

JorgeVera

it is Jan - 2020, and even that I put the right AGI for my spouse IRS rejected 2 times, finally entered the magic number "0" and... it was accepted. I hope this info helps you

is Feb 2020 I did the same, I entered $0 ... waiting for the answer from IRS ...

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You mention that you are waiting for the IRS.  Did you efile the return?  Was it accepted or is that what you are waiting for?  Also, did you file a joint a return lsst year?  If so, the AGI will be what was on that joint return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ma35
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I am also facing the same issue.

Do I need to put Spouse AGI as '0' or the total last year's AGI must be marked as '0'?

@Karen1209 @JorgeVera @DMarkM1 

Thanks

diptiscoe

I am also in same boat. Could anyone please provide their experience on entering '0' as AGI for Spouse works and IRS does accept the return ? Note: I filed my returns from CPA until last year.  I am using TurboTax for the first time and me and my spouse both working on W2.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If your spouse did not file last year or did so under a different number, please use 0 this year and this should work.  The data base will not be able to match up the AGI with a different filing number. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
eee75055

Hi Folks,

I am also in the same boat, IRS couldn't confirm my spouse identity when I am using SSN and requesting my spouse AGI for 2018, but since we filed last year with SSN &ITIN  jointly, it is rejected.

We have already sent an update to rescind ITIN to SSN few weeks ago.

Even if I try 0 for my spouse AGI for 2018, it is rejected, since today being last day, need some help please.

Thanks!

After submitting all combinations, my numbers (AGI and PIN) worked as of 2020-07-17.

We filed jointly for 2018 tax year with my spouse's SSN as the primary, and a self-selected PIN, using turbotax for e-filing.

We filed jointly for 2019 tax year with my SSN as the primary. (We need to change the primary for a reason.)

After several IRS rejections, I started a NEW tax file, NO importing from 2018, in turbotax.

I received the IRS acceptance using the 2018 AGI for BOTH (primary and spouse), and the PIN used in 2018 e-filing.

Best wished to all!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies