Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2022 Return was rejected but TurboTax says I haven't filed yet. What do I do?

My 2022 Return was rejected (IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records)  but when I go to TurboTax and check eFile status, it says I haven't filed yet and wants me to file again.  It doesn't say anything about fixing.  It's also wanting me to pay the tax and fees again.  I've already paid them and they have been deducted from my bank account.   I'm using the desktop deluxe version.  What do I do?  Furthermore, I have no idea what the error means.  Why on Earth do they expect the AGI to match from one year to the next.  I have no idea what my PIN was from last year.  The instructions told me just to make one up but it didn't say anything about remembering what it was a year later.  But, regardless, TurboTax isn't even letting me fix it but forcing me to file again.  I can't afford to file again.  I've tried going through all the steps to refile right up to the step where I actually file and it doesn't say anything about already paying.  Yet, I have confirmation emails from TruboTax saying I paid.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My 2022 Return was rejected but TurboTax says I haven't filed yet. What do I do?

Update to my original message.  So, because I won't be available for a couple of weeks, I went ahead and refiled, and paid everything again.  This time it was accepted (i.e., received the email saying the IRS accepted my return) and my bank has been charged twice for everything.  Assuming I can get a refund when I return.  But, now when I go to check e-file status in TurboTax, it still says I haven't filed.  It does say I've paid this time, but still wants me to file.  I think something is wrong with TurboTax and that concerns me.  I've confirmed several times that all my profile information is correct.  What a pain!!

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

If your return was accepted by the IRS (and State if you had one) then you filed a return.  Do not file again.  You may have been charged twice because you filed that second time.  It may work itself out, or the IRS will ultimately send you a refund check to correct the overpayment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What did you pay?  Turbo Tax fees or a tax due?  If you used the Desktop program the only fee is $25 to efile a state return.  Did you get the program installed and entered the 16 digit License Code?  A lot of times people who bought the Desktop program end up in the Online version by mistake.  

Did you check the efile status online or inside the program?   For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to the top black menu bar first item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

The Desktop program seems to have a problem updating the status.  If you got an accepted email don't worry about it.  It's been reported.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies