turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RUBE

Must a 1099-MISC by typed, or is handwriting acceptable? I'm using TurboTax Premier.

I need to prepare a 1099-MISC for an attorney who performed legal services for me in connection with my rental property, and another for a building contractor who performed work on that property.  Each were paid over $600.  I don't think I can prepare the forms using my TT Premier, so I have ordered forms from the IRS. Must the entries be typed or are handwritten entries acceptable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
lisa14

Must a 1099-MISC by typed, or is handwriting acceptable? I'm using TurboTax Premier.

For years I did hand written.  So you should be fine with that.  The filing deadline to give to the individual or company is today.  You need to file the copies with 1096 form by March 31st

Since the IRS now requires the 1099-MISC  be sent to them on only their scannable forms, which I have obtained from the IRS, will it still be scannable if it is filled out by hand?  

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The scannable forms that you have to use are really a function of getting the shading to drop out of the scan so that the OCR/ICR (Optical Character Recognition/Intelligent Character Recognition) will be more successful without all the "noise" that random dots introduce.

In terms of handwritten forms, the IRS says,

"Although handwritten forms are acceptable, they must be completely legible and accurate to avoid pro...

See the text under Paper Document Reporting in the General Instructions for Certain Information Returns (2019).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

42, 741.00

James Edward Gantt 42, 791.00

@Csavasta66 wrote:

James Edward Gantt 42, 791.00

Is there some reason why you are posting random numbers on this message board thread?  If you need help - ASK a QUESTION!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies