Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeff knoll
Returning Member

moving expense

I am required to move by medical necessity order by my doctor. What, if any moving expense, can be treated as a medical expense 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
lisah4
Expert Alumni

moving expense

Hi! 

Unfortunately, you won't be able to deduct any moving expenses due to moving because of medical reasons. I have included a link for you that explains the moving expenses deduction and why you can't deduct those expenses. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/jobs-and-career/guide-to-irs-form-3903-moving-expenses/L6CwmGm3...

Thank you,

Lisa , EA 

NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

moving expense

Publication 502 details what are deductible as medical expenses. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

Moving expenses are not listed in this publication as a medical expense. 

I also did a brief search and was unable to find any tax court cases or PLRs that suggest the IRS has ever allowed a medical deduction for moving expenses. So I think they would be nondeductible per the general exclusion of moving expenses for anyone besides active duty military. 

Of note, a medical reason to move could be a reason to qualify for a partial exclusion of capital gain on a home you haven't lived in for two years. See Publication 523 on partial exclusion. But that is a different question than yours. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies