Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missing description for Box 14 on W-2

Box 14 on my W-2 has an amount in it but there is no description (significant amount in the hundreds).  I left the description blank, entered the amount and selected Other (nonclassified).  Turbo tax however keeps flagging the w-2 as needing review and forcing me to come back to it.

I have deduced from paystubs that this is my retirement contributions to a 414(h) plan.  Box 13 (retirement plan) is not checked.  On my paystub it is listed as PENSION.  Not sure what to do from here.

Thank you for any help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

To fix your review entry for your W-2, please complete the following:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search w-2 with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the Jump to w-2 link at the top of the search results.
  4. Click Edit next to your W-2 in question.
  5. Enter 414H in Box 14 description.
  6. Click continue and the error should be cleared. 

Although your W-2 does not have a description in Box 14, you must enter a description in that box in order to e-file. Do not be concerned that it isn't on your W-2 since that is what the deduction was for. Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.

For more information, please see What is box 14 on my W-2 for?

@Wedge

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Please check the list below and determine the source of your retirement contributions. If you are a member of one of those groups and that is the source of your retirement contributions, then you should select 414(h) Subject to NY Tax.  Otherwise, select 414(h)Tax Exempt.  

The following 414(h) retirement contributions shown on federal form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, are taxable:

• A member of the New York State and Local Retirement System, which includes the New York State Employees' Retirement System and the New York State Police and Fire Retirement System.
  • A member of the New York State Teachers' Retirement System.
  • An employee of the State or City University of New York who belongs to the Optional Retirement Program.
  • A member of the New York City Employees' Retirement System, the New York City Teachers' Retirement System, the New York City Board of Education Retirement System, the New York City Police Pension Fund, or the New York City Fire Department Pension Fund.
  • A member of the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MABSTOA).

[Edited 3/12/22 l 9:53AM PST]

@Wedge 

Thank you for the reply Lena!!

I did carefully look through all the options.  I reside and work in Nebraska which quickly narrows out the majority of options as Nebraska is not on there.  This is also for a hospital so I overlooked all the railroad options as well.  Non of the categories seem to apply.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If none of those apply to you, then please choose 414(h)Tax Exempt for your Box 14 category. 

@Wedge

Should I be concerned that it says New York Tax Exempt?

So I selected the New York 414h Tax exempt, (which I still feel I should not do since residence, employment, income etc was all in Nebraska and has nothing to do with New York).  It solved nothing.  Turbo tax still flags this w-2 for review.  I am almost certain the issue is that there is nothing listed in the description.  

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

There is no other relevant drop-down option for Box 14. Since it is not taxable, no adjustment occurs on your return by choosing tax-exempt. Therefore, this has no effect on your tax returns. If you feel more comfortable using Other (not classified), then you can use that as well. 

For more information, please see the discussion What is a 414(h)?

@Wedge 

[Edited 3/12/21 l 10:03AM PST]

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Did you import your W-2 from your employer? Sometimes, if you keep getting a review message, it is best to delete the W-2 and re-enter it manually. This should correct the problem. 

If you are still getting an error, it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2021" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@Wedge

@LenaH 

Thank you for the legwork and the link.  That makes much more sense for the dropdown box.  It still doesn't help my original issue however.  Turbotax continues to mark my w-2 as needing Review because the description is left blank. 

I can confirm that I if I add my own description like say "414(h) PENSION", the flag is removed.  However, this will then no longer match the w-2 given to me by my employer as my employer did not enter a description.  Should I be concerned?

@LenaH 

Thank you for your help!  Token Number is 953803.

I can confirm that the w-2 was uploaded using a scanned pdf image.  I then carefully combed through the entries to ensure everything is accurate.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

To fix your review entry for your W-2, please complete the following:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search w-2 with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the Jump to w-2 link at the top of the search results.
  4. Click Edit next to your W-2 in question.
  5. Enter 414H in Box 14 description.
  6. Click continue and the error should be cleared. 

Although your W-2 does not have a description in Box 14, you must enter a description in that box in order to e-file. Do not be concerned that it isn't on your W-2 since that is what the deduction was for. Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.

For more information, please see What is box 14 on my W-2 for?

@Wedge

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies