turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

albertlopera
Returning Member

Misinformation

Hello, I have been told twice by TurboTax about how much I will receive for two years, consecutively, and I did not receive the proper amount. Do you know why that is?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Misinformation

No one in the user forum can see your tax returns so no one knows why your refund was changed.   Did the IRS send you a letter to explain the change?   When the IRS reduces your refund they mail you a letter to tell you why they changed your refund.  The letter usually comes several weeks after you receive the reduced refund.   For 2020 and 2021, there were lots of people who made mistakes with the recovery rebate credit --and for 2021 returns in particular--mistakes with the child tax credit.   Did the IRS make a change to your line 28 or line 30 on your tax return?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
albertlopera
Returning Member

Misinformation

Do you want to see the information?

albertlopera
Returning Member

Misinformation

Also, no, the irs did not inform me about the change.

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Misinformation

Hi albertlopera,  I understand you have filed your previous years tax returns, expecting a refund and the refund amount received was less then the amount reported on the filed tax return.  When the IRS makes a change to your tax return they typically send a notice to you.  If you have not received a notice you can sign in to your TurboTax account and request a Record of Account Transcript.  The Record of Account Transcript will reflect your originally filed return and the IRS changes.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Once you have either your IRS notice or the transcript you can compare the corrections to your tax return.  There can be many reasons for the IRS to make a change including missed income, or credits that should not have been taken. 

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions#:~:text=Why%20is%20my%20ref....

Once you have the notice or transcript, you can reach out to us at TurboTax and we are happy to explain the IRS changes.

I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Misinformation

"Do you want to see the information?"

NO!!!!!!   This is a public web site.   Do not post any of your personal information here where it can be seen and used by scammers and identity thieves.  Without any of your personal information like SSN, etc. provide some details.   How much was the refund shown on line 35a of your Form 1040?   How much did you actually receive?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
albertlopera
Returning Member

Misinformation

Are you a TurboTax employee whom I can ask for help?

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Misinformation

Yes, but since this is a public platform the best way for you to have us assist you with your previous tax returns is to reach out to Live Help once you are signed into your TurboTax account.

Thanks!

albertlopera
Returning Member

Misinformation

35A (2020): 2,750; Reception (2020): $1,400

35A (2021): 1,400; Reception (2021): $600

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Misinformation

Hi ,  it appears you claimed a Recovery Rebate Credit on your filed tax returns , which the IRS checked against their records and determined that they had issued you the correct amount of stimulus payments.

Review your 2020 tax return, line 30 to see if you requested a credit for a stimulus payment that you did not receive.  If you did NOT receive either the first or second stimulus payment and reported the credit on your 2020 tax return, and the IRS corrected as their records indicate they did issue you the stimulus, you may request an IRS trace on the stimulus payment.

Review your 2021 tax return, line 30  to see if you requested a credit for a stimulus payment that you did not receive.  If you did NOT receive the third stimulus payment and reported the credit on your 2021 tax return, and the IRS corrected as their records indicate they did issue you the stimulus, you may request an IRS trace on the stimulus payment.

Here is the link to the IRS site with a phone number to request a track of stimulus payment,

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

I hope this is helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies