Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Minnesota PTE tax not supported by TurboTax

Trying to file my taxes on line.  TurboTax says I can't file Minnesota electronically because I have a PTE tax credit and it is not supported by TurboTax.  Will a future update allow filing electronically for 2022 soon?  In other words should I wait for a while so I can file electronically, or should I go ahead with a paper filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Minnesota Schedule M1REF is currently available for e-file.  If you are using a CD/Download version of TurboTax, you may need to update your software so you can e-file.  To do this open TurboTax and click Online in the black menu bar at the top and then click Check for Updates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes I am a CD guy, updates run automatically every time I start the program.  Did the check for updates too.  Software says it is up to date.  Ran the recheck again and I get the same message:

"The return contains a pass through entity tax credit on Schedule M1REF"

"Turbo Tax does not support this information to be filed electronically"

You need a new update perhaps? Or am I doing something wrong?  Does the credit perhaps need to entered as a negative number?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I suggest you update your system again and Clear your history, cookies and cache and reboot your system and try to enter this information again.  As our Expert AliciaP1 stated, the Minnesota Schedule M1REF is currently available for e-file.

@jdnaylor

Let's try another angle.  My cache and cookies should have nothing to do with this as I installed the program from a CD on my hard drive.  I am not using the cloud version.  I have a long and complex return, really don't want to start all over!  I have tried going in and deleting the Minnesota KPI data, then re-entering it.  Still Turbotax not happy.  Here is my new question: Since you advise that the program should work, can I download TurboTax from my desktop from InstallTurboTax.com and try that or will that destroy my current tax file?  I can save the tax files to a thumb drive and try the install....

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2022" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Go to the black panel on the top of your screen and select Online. 

1. Scroll down to and select Send tax file to Agent. 
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click send through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  3. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@jdnaylor 

I am interested in the solution as I have the same problem. For expediting this you could use my file while you wait for @jdnaylor. 1103207

Regards,

Yes, use his file.  I'm only trying to determine if a fix is coming by April 15 so I can file electronically or if I should go ahead and file paper because this is not a bug, but how the program has to work this year due to some issue with Minnesota Dept of Revenue...

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you have a Pass-Through Entity credit on Line 9 of your MN Schedule of Refundable Credits (M1REF), you must attach either Schedule KS, KPI, or KF with your return, so it can't be e-filed in TurboTax.   The rest of the credits do not require a statement to be attached, so those can be e-filed, but the PTE credit will need to be mailed, unfortunately.    The MN Department of Revenue does require the attachment.  

From the M1REF instructions - Line 9 — Pass-through Entity Tax Credit The pass-through entity tax credit is a refundable credit for qualifying individuals of a pass-through entity that elects to pay tax at the entity level. The entity passes the refundable credit for taxes paid by the entity to the individual shareholders, partners, and beneficiaries. Include the amounts from line 30 of Schedules KS, line 30 of Schedule KPI, and line 36 of Schedule KF. Attach Schedules KS, KPI, or KF with your return. Your refund will be delayed or denied if you do not provide the information.    @Apolx 

DelaGal
Returning Member

Experiencing the same problem in TurboTax 2023 -- Why is this still a problem?  TurboTax software is up-to-date and all KPI information is entered into the program so TurboTax has the form in essence.   Lack of ability to E-file creates a great deal of paper, printing, and mailing for the user with a complex return.  TurboTax program's ability to E-file federal and state returns is one of the valuable reasons for selecting the software.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Looks like this is only available for print.

Please check here for form and efile availability: Business State Forms Availability 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies