Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Looking for tax company to help federal inmates file their 2020 taxes. Need phone number so they can call and have you send them info. They will gladly pay for services.

We need a non 800 number as inmates can't call toll free numbers. Looking for a company to do their taxes for a fee. Most if not all have never filed. Didn't work in 2020 or years before. They are entitled to receive stimulus payments legally. This would be a great way for a legitimate company to make some easy money and help out 100's of inmates to take some burdens off their families and to help the economy because they will spend the money in and out of prison.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Looking for tax company to help federal inmates file their 2020 taxes. Need phone number so they can call and have you send them info. They will gladly pay for services.

You message has been called to the attention of those who should see it.

Thank you. I'm eagerly waiting for some help to pass it on to those incarcerated.

[email address removed]

Have the inmate check with the warden or prison administrator for the best way for them to file taxes and claim their stimulus.  The inmate will have to file their own return.  A company or family member cannot file for them.  

TurboTax has a Free File program that they can file federal and state returns for no charge if they qualify.  

The inmates there have tried asking their warden and other correctional staff but are told the BOP (Bureau of Prisons) will not help in any way with taxes. They did give out a memo stating all federal inmates who are US citizens and or have a social security number and or meet any of the criteria for receiving stimulus money are able to have family members send them a 1040 or 1040-SR form for inmates to fill out and send to IRS. Some inmates there did just that. Some received their 1200.00 stimulus and others did not. Now the IRS says they need to file for their stimulus checks that they didn't get by including their recovery rebate credit on line 30 of the 1040 form after using the calculation sheet. 

It's almost impossible for inmates to get these forms as a lot of them do not have family. These stimulus checks that have legally been afforded to them absolutely helps the communities as the money is spent and it relieves any pressures on their family members who are already struggling so we won't have to send them money. Some inmates will actually send some of the money home to help their wives and kids or other family members who will spend it in their communities.

I don't understand why any reputable tax preparer company can't send an inmate a 1040 package with instructions or questions to answer and have the inmates answer questions, sign any forms and have tax preparer file it for them for a fee.

I know this thankfully is something that a lot of citizens don't have to deal with but for those of us who unfortunately do, we desperately need help. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I suggest you contact VITA

IRS VITA Program

CPA Journal

"Prisons may also provide access to volunteer tax programs. The IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and those with limited English language ability. "

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I would be interested to know if you were ever able to get any info to help inmates state or federal get there stimulas. I have heard that the BOP excepted the first round of payments and refused the next and on the state level here in Utah the inmates have been giving the 1040 and filed it out and it was mailed to the irs and those haven't heard anything and it's been months.

We did not receive any help from any members here. My family member who's incarcerated in federal prison and hundreds of others have also filed 1040's. Yet when their families go to IRS website to check on their status all it says is processing or didn't receive tax filings. Wish I could help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies