turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

nc15

License Code Multiple Request by TT 2019 Desktop App

Thank you! Disconnecting the USB backup drives from my computer 

Mine was a USB printer..  Pulled it out and TTax started up normal. Thanks

FJup

This worked for me as well. Removed the USB device and good to go again!

bbdevi

So, should I or should I not close my opened software? I used the CD, installed it, prepared my tax return, and after a week or so, tried opening it. It asked for updating the software and after that asked for activating the license! Called their help desk and was advised to enter the code again. Now, I am keeping it open and planning on filing the tax before it asks for the activation code again! There is an issue and they are not resolving it. Have been using their software forever, and this is the first time I am not comfortable with this software. They have had glitches; but this is weird.

Just want to provide my experience as it is a little different than what has been said.  In my case, I had a new Windows 10 computer and installed Turbo Tax Deluxe 2019, registered it and closed it without starting my taxes.  A few days later I attempted to start my taxes and received the request to re-register.  I did not re-register, but found my way to this forum.  Thanks to everyone providing a little insight I was able to find a solution.  I removed all external USB drives and equipment, which did not help.  Because it was a new computer I had no Anti-Virus or firewall outside of what Windows 10 provides, but I turned those off to no avail.  I turned off my VPN and did not allow it to start when I booted - no help.  After seeing others talk about removing external USB drives, it got me thinking about the drive I added after installing TT - an internal hard drive connected directly to the motherboard.  I temporarily unplugged this drive, rebooted Windows and sure enough, TT opened without requesting me to re-register.  I will need to complete my taxes before putting this drive back in as doing so caused the re-registration to appear again.   As others have said, DO NOT continue to enter your activation code multiple times.  If you are receiving the re-registration there is likely something you can turn off, un-do, uninstall or remove to get it working.  Not that you should have to.

ranger100

i need a 6 digit code to file.

my e-mail is     [email address removed]

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Here's information on getting your 6 digit verification code by email:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4576376

@ranger100, your email address has been removed for your security.   This is a public forum, please do not post personal information such as phone number, email address, physical address, order numbers, etc....

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have several post here, in different threads.  Only thing I have to say--I left TT some time ago, have already filed through H&R without all this B__l S__T.  Will never use TT  again. Never again.

Well, I just had this problem today after dozens of launches and multiple updates without any issues. No external USB drives, no  update prior to running the program, just the request for activation window. I immediately closed it and tried to restart, but got the activation window again. So, I rebooted the computer, started the program, and this time it worked normally. Closed the program and started it again with the same normal result. So, I guess there is nearly 100% probability that this problem will surface eventually if you start the program enough times no matter how your system is configured. Fortunately, at least in my case, the solution is pretty simple. Don’t repeat the activation, and reboot the computer.

tdc0819

VirtualKev's solution worked for me

I had originally installed TurboTax with an external USB plugged in

I was getting the re-activation errors with the external USB removed

Once I re-inserted that external drive, TurboTax started up as normal

So DUMB, Intuit

After updated today, 04/29/2020, Turbotax Home and Business asked for activation code again.  After I entered its license code I encountered error message.  I used to put a USB flash drive while working, I noticed I did not put that USB flash drive today so I inserted that USB drive, and surprisingly TurboTax worked again.

Something very wrong with 2019 TurboTax.  It should not be influenced by an external USB drive.

Most probably an intern decided to use the   Harddrive Serial Number to get a unique ID to enforce a software license and did not think of some USB hardDrive can mess up unique code used.  I am sure if the Hard Drive crash and you restore, you will have a similar problem.   Not that intuitive need more money than they are collecting every year on TT and every three years on all other products! 🙄

Finally figured out exactly what the issue is.  When I installed TT, I had a microSD card installed in my laptop card reader slot.  That got removed at some point...then weeks later when I wanted to resume my taxes, I get stuck in the endless loop of error 630!  I simply installed the microSD card reader (and a random card) back into the laptop reader slot...rebooted machine...and voila, TT started immediately without any error!  TT, GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK!  I spent two hours on the phone with you to resolve this issue and NOTHING.  I had to look at the community forum to figure this out.

tdc0819 is correct.

There is a serious problem with TT programming.

When TT is installed in a computer with a USB drive plugged into the computer, then TT needs that USB drive to be plugged in so it will not ask for activation code again.

The technical support did not know the flaw and accusing us of getting a pirate copy of TT.

This problem is widespread.  TT needs to fix it right away in order not to waste so much time for customers.   

lately they have not ask for the code when I have had to go back and look at my tax return for various reasons.  I wonder if TT put in a patch .  I also wonder if my earlier problem was because I was using an USB port for my wireless mouse.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies