Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

License Code Multiple Request by TT 2019 Desktop App

last time I talked with Turbo Tax they sent me a bunch of instructions one of which was to enter some commands in the command prompt I am really unconfortable with doing this I am just leaving the program running I should have my return done today and be thru with them

andycsun

I have the same problem as of 2/26/2020. I installed on my desktop PC in January 2020.  I launched the TT and it asked me to activate my license even though I activated already.

Today I tried to install on my laptop and it said that I installed on 5 devices already with error code 603. Even though I only installed on my desktop PC. I am still on the phone with technical support over 40 minutes already. They need to find a fix and post it on here.

starzki

Everyone is giving a bunch of mumbo jumbo explanations regarding re-entering the activation code and firewalls and all of that mess.  Here's how I solved the problem. DO NOT RE-ENTER the activation code.  Hit cancel and close the program.  Re-open it several times and hit cancel DO NOT enter the activation code.  Then shutdown your computer.  Turn it back on.  Open TT 2019 if it asks for the activation code DO NOT enter it keep cancelling and closing the program.  It took me at least 5 open and closes and one shutdown then opened it two more times and it worked. I have had to do this almost every time I close the program and come back to it later or a different day.  

I had this same issue on my Windows 10 desktop and found an easy fix that may or may not help others, but here it is for what it is worth.

I was prepared to call TT support when I noticed that a flash drive that I had used to store bank statements on was still residing in a USB port.  Removal of that drive immediately corrected the problem.

In my case the problem was that my system was not playing nice with TT, not with TT itself.  So, check your system for any changes that may have been made just prior to your problem.

Same problem and I have been using TT for at least 25 years.  Never seen anything like this problem.  I am wondering after 5 starts will I be able to get back to my work.  This problem is really "third grade" for such an application that has been so reliable in the past.  Contact a human at TT ... No Way.  They need to issue a blanket resolve for all license holders.  Any number to contact a human??

--JB

@proudtiger wrote:

Same problem and I have been using TT for at least 25 years.  Never seen anything like this problem.  I am wondering after 5 starts will I be able to get back to my work.  This problem is really "third grade" for such an application that has been so reliable in the past.  Contact a human at TT ... No Way.  They need to issue a blanket resolve for all license holders.  Any number to contact a human??

--JB

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Thank you so much woodythegoat, removing the USB drive worked for me!

Thank you.  Will give it a try Monday.

Many thanks DoninGA for the Turbo Tax links

I got through and they issued me a new activation code.  It seems that I had opened my TT application five times and the application thought I had installed it in five computers -- sort of dumb but no one says computers are smart.  The people I talked with at TT were not aware that this seems to be a wide spread problem.  From reading the messages on the forum, it indeed must be.

Thanks again Don

Best regards,

Jack in TN

You are definitely not alone. I'll be looking into HRB software next year. It is March 2 and some Wisconsin forms are still not available and schedule WD is not working properly!

I'm having the same problem but I purchased software from Costco. It is not you!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@sinkczrt 

If your license code isn’t working to activate the TurboTax software, it may be because you’ve entered it incorrectly. 

Double-check your code and enter it carefully in the License code box on the installation screen. 

• Note: Your license code is not case sensitive—you don’t need to worry about capitalization. You also don’t need to enter the dashes when typing in your code. Just enter the numbers and letters exactly how they appear.

Error codes

If you receive an error code that says, "The license code you entered is not valid. Error code: XXX", it means the code you're entering is either not valid for that product or is no longer active. Check that you're entering the code exactly as it appears on your CD insert or copy and paste it directly from your Downloads.

If you receive a error code with a message saying, “All available activations for that code have been used,” that means your code has already been used the maximum number of times, and therefore can’t be used to install the software on another computer. TurboTax can be installed on up to five computers using the same license code. 

If you receive either one of these errors, wait a few minutes and re-enter your license code:

• Sorry, we're experiencing a problem on our end. Please try again later. Error code: 620
  • There was an error with validating your license code, please try again later. Error code: 630

If you’re still having trouble with your code, Contact us .

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same problem. I purchased TurboTax from Amazon via download last December and got things started. Cranked it up today to finish taxes and it wanted to re-activate.

This IS the solution!

Amazingly poor coding by Turbotax -- they apparently built the system profile based on hard drive signatures.  Idiots.  Instead of messing around with telling people to reset their IP address, THE FIRST TROUBLESHOOTING STEP should be "CHECK FOR USB-ATTACHED DRIVES".

I wasted an hour with tech support, saw this while on hold with their useless script-monkeys, and problem solved.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

******************   Resolved for me **************** 
Woody Thanks a bunch.

Your solution worked for me !!  I had an external USB HardDrive connected to the laptop.  After reading your post, gracefully disconnected the USB drive and restarted the TT Premium.  

****  Walah!! it started working no prompt for the licence!! ***** Solved ***** 

( The extra stars above are to get some attention,  since woody's post  is hard to find . 

Here was my symptom: 
-- Installed downloaded version, worked on it for a while

( I have  Business and two kids to complete)  it takes a while )

-- After procrastinating for some time started back on it this March. Both TT Busines and TT prim still working.
-- I had to reboot for some driver upgrade from Lenovo,  I accidentally said yes to reboot.  

-- After restart  TT prime requested to enter licence again and entering worked the firest time and stopped and went back to it, requested license again and never worked after that. The external hard drive has been connected for all these experiments.  Note that TT Business no issues starting, so I am confident the connection and firewall, etc are good on this laptop. 

--  Almost ready to give up screwing around with all other suggestions, then I ran into Mr Woddy's post. I had my 1 terabyte external USB drive hooked.   From the Task USB icon,  gracefully stoped the external drive and removed the USB drive. 
-- It is working now, not rebooting or stopping this TT, till finish 🙂 
--------------

I am not sure if this is a random start or not, but  I am not planning to stop this TT till I complete and submit the Tax returns 🙂  I will followup and test if I am able to reproduce the problem connecting back the  USB drive,  back and reboot a couple of times to make sure it really worked. 

Good luck 

Update:  Tested again and  the external USB drive cause this problem.  Eject the USB driver and restart the TT 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies