turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ITIN to SSN update

My wife has received SSN, she previously had ITIN. I have sent request letter to IRS to 

void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Senn letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX [social security number removed] 

its been two weeks since i sent letter and there is no update from IRS. Just want to know how long it takes and how to track status of it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

51 Replies
SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

ITIN to SSN update

Under normal circumstances, this type of request can be expected to take 8-12 weeks and you could track it by calling the IRS service center.  Currently, the IRS call centers are closed and staffing levels are drastically reduced so you can expect processing time to be increased dramatically - however, exactly how long it may take is not known. 

Unfortunately, at this time there is not a good way to track the status of this request.  However, I would not have expected an update or even an acknowledgment within two weeks under even the best of circumstances. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ITIN to SSN update

Thanks @SusanY1 ,

i have filed 2019 tax returns jointly with my wife using my ssn and wifes itin. And our joint income is eligible for simulas check. But since i had used itin in the filing. I am presently not be eligible. 

question, once my wifes  ITIN rescind is complete, will we be eligible for similus check?

Appreciate your time! Thank you!

visionsk

ITIN to SSN update

I have a similar question!

I've filed a tax last year using my SSN and my wife's ITIN.

Both of us are permanent residents meaning that my wife has her SSN.

If I send a letter to IRS now to rescind her ITIN (April 2020), would we become eligible to receive the stimulus check?

As a couple, we earn less than $150k per year.

Thank you ahead of time! 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

ITIN to SSN update

As both you and your spouse have a Social Security number, you are eligible for the stimulus payment. 

The real question is when you will receive it. If you filed your 2019 tax return with a Social Security number for both of you, you should receive it this year. If not, you may receive it next year.

The stimulus payment is an advance payment on a tax credit on the 2020 federal return. If you are unable to get it this year, you would receive it on your tax return next year. 

@visionsk

ITIN to SSN update

Thanks @DeanM15 , I have submitted  ITIN rescind to SSN request. however in current situation it may take a while for that to complete.

if I don't get stimulus payment this year and when I file return next year (2020), will they check the gross income eligibility using 2020 return or 2019?

ITIN to SSN update

Hello,

I'm yet to file my 2019 tax return. Till 2018 tax return i used to file my tax with my SSN and wife ITIN - Married filing jointly. My wife got her SSN recently and I've sent a letter last week to IRS to rescind her ITIN and update SSN in her records.

Since IRS hasn't acknowledged the rescind letter, so I'd like to know should I file 2019 tax return with her SSN or ITIN? Will my returns be impacted because IRS didn't acknowledge yet.

Any help would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

ITIN to SSN update

Use the SSN. Per the IRS:

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301-0057 

ITIN to SSN update

Thank you for your reply VictoriaD75,

As the deadline for the tax return is extended till Jul 2020, Shall i wait until IRS updates my wife SSN in their records and acknowledge me or shall I go ahead and file my tax return with both our SSN's

ITIN to SSN update

Hi,

I am in same situation. We file with the "Married Filing Jointly" status. My spouse got her SSN in Sept. 2019 and we have sent letter to IRS in May 2020 to update SSN and rescind her ITIN. Will IRS send a confirmation letter saying that ITIN has been removed/revoked ? Should we wait for this confirmation letter, then eFile the 2019 tax return ? OR should we go ahead and use her SSN in the 2019 Tax return details and enter her last year's AGI as Zero, when Turbo Tax asks last year's AGI value during the "eFile Tax Return" step ? I had tried to eFile with her actual AGI value from last year's return but the tax return was rejected with error IND-032-04.

somair

ITIN to SSN update

Hi,

I have been filing my taxes jointly with my wife since 2011. She was on ITIN but received her SSN on 12/29/2017. She had not been working until 2019.

We jointly filed taxes in 2018 with ITIN but have filed in 2019 and 2020 using her SSN only. We unfortunately didnt send a note to IRS for rescinding her ITIN and discovered that error recently. While we write a letter to IRS, is there anything else we will need to do?

Best Regards,

Somair

ITIN to SSN update

My situation is similar to yours where i got same Error code after e file. Did you use ITIN OR SSN in 2019 Tax return to avoid the error code ? Did you use SSN for your spouse with AGI value as Zero ?

ITIN to SSN update

I was on same boat, I mailed to IRS but didn’t get any response after completing 2 months but today I called to IRS and they have taken my request over the call. But still question, will I get check now after updating my wife SSN? 

Thanks!! 

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

ITIN to SSN update

Probably not.  The IRS has indicated that anyone who was initially found ineligible for the early payment of the Economic Impact Payment would need to file for the credit in 2021 when complete the  2020 tax return.  

However, they've not been specific about guidance in this situation so there is a possibility that it could happen, though not a very strong one.  

@Tyadav1101

ITIN to SSN update

Hi @Tyadav1101 ,

please let me know the process to reach IRS ITIN department to take the ITIN rescind request over call or enquire about existing rescind request status.. I tried reaching IRS many times with no luck.

were they able to complete your ITIN rescind request?

Thansk,

Ranjit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies