Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It says my EIN is wrong with both companies and I know for a fact that it is not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

It says my EIN is wrong with both companies and I know for a fact that it is not.

Thanks for using TurboTax,
It may very well be the EIN number that is on your W-2, but that does not mean it is what the IRS has in their data base
. Your employer or their payroll service could have made an error in their entry.  Please review all of the information below.

This type of rejection occurs when the Employer Identification Number (EIN) differs from what the IRS has in its database.  To correct this:

Open your return in TurboTax.

• In the search box type: W-2 
  • click on Jump to W-2 
  • On the W-2 summary screen, click Edit next to each W-2 on the return and make sure the EIN in Box b exactly matches what's on your W-2 form. If not, make the correction.
  • Next, make sure the info in the Employer's Name and Address fields match your paper W-2.  If not, make the correction.
If you were able to correct the return with the information above, you can now re-transmit the return.
related thread: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3092903-how-do-i-correct-ein-number
Hope this helps

There have been a lot of misprints this year. My 1099-R was missing the last number and turbo tax would add a zero to the end. The number missing was a 2, look up your employer's ein and check it against your W2. There was also a case of a 0 that was printed as a Q. Good luck!

I just need to know how to fix the number they were just typed in wrong

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To fix the number that was just typed wrong, return to the Jobs (W-2) area of your return and click the pencil icon or Edit button next to the W-2 that needs to be updated. 

To do this in TurboTax, inside the program, go to the search box and enter w2. Click the Jump to link in the search results.

For more information, see: How do I import or enter my W-2?

@demented101

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies