turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jtc4090

It keeps saying "Taxpayer SSN should not be entered directly on the Georgia information worksheet for electronic filing. You must complete the federal worksheet"

Once I take the ssn off it will tell me that there is something wrong with my information page and it will have me enter my ssn again
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

It keeps saying "Taxpayer SSN should not be entered directly on the Georgia information worksheet for electronic filing. You must complete the federal worksheet"

There is a similar situation in many states. Try the following:

TurboTax tells you (correctly) that you need to have your SS number for your state return. It then offers a box and a worksheet to enter the SSN. Then, when you enter the SSN, it tells you "You can't do that here."

Obviously, this doesn't make any sense.

What you need to do is:

• erase this entry in the state return (because you won't be able to finish the state review so long as this entry is here).
  • jump to your personal info on your federal return.
  • add the missing information, like your SSN.
  • then return to the state return and see if the state return will clear the review.

If that doesn't clear the state return, then you may have to delete the state return and re-enter it, so that the personal information on the federal return will be carried to the state anew.

I was able to correct this by going to Forms mode, then choosing the state worksheet and deleting the social security number on the form.  When we went back to the Easy Steps mode, the problem was resolved.

urja
Level 1

@dwest24, What exactly do you mean by forms mode here?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

@urja

Forms mode is available with TurboTax Desktop only. 

When using TurboTax Desktop, you can enter your information in step-by-step (interviews) as in the Online programs, or switch to Forms Mode on the top right of the screen. Forms mode is just what it sounds like, it lets you enter directly on forms. 

If you are getting an error as described above, please go back through the "My Info" section on the federal return. If your social security number has not been entered there, please edit it. 

If this does not solve your issue, you may need to delete the state, make sure your social security number is listed on the federal return, and then start the state return over. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can confirm that this problem still exists in 2023 (filing in Feb 2024).  The same solution helped me with this issue.  Deleting the state and restarting the state over resolved the issue.

If you are on a desktop (I use a Mac), i had to use the menu bar, choose "File", and then Remove (your state) data.

Then go to the end of the Federal Review and choose "Add State" on the left side menu bar. 

vbala81

Trying this in March 2024 and have the same issue. I am having 2 states and North Carolina state is showing this error. I have a macbook and the desktop version doesnt have the ability to switch to Forms mode

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did you try the first suggestion above? Delete whatever you entered in the Review, then go to My Info/Personal Info and enter the SSN there.

I don't think you will have to delete the state and re-add it, because over time TurboTax has gotten better about automatically grabbing new data from the federal return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies