turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have my mother as a dependent, she lives in mexico, can i still use her itin # [removed] or have to renew the # this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I have my mother as a dependent, she lives in mexico, can i still use her itin # [removed] or have to renew the # this year?

It depends but if you are not required to renew her ITIN, then you will be able to use her ITIN to claim her as a dependent on your tax return this year.

The IRS is requiring some taxpayers with a prior Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to renew their ITINs. Under a recent change in law, any ITIN not used on a tax return at least once in the past three years will expire on Jan. 1, 2017. In addition, any ITIN with middle digits of either 78 or 79 (9NN-78-NNNN or 9NN-79-NNNN) will also expire on that date. If your ITIN does not meet these requirement, you will be able to use it without renewing.

According to the IRS, there are two key groups of ITIN holders who may need to renew an ITIN so it will be in effect for returns filed in 2017: 

• Unused ITINs. ITINs not used on a federal income tax return in the last three years (covering 2013, 2014, or 2015) will no longer be valid to use on a tax return as of Jan. 1, 2017. ITIN holders in this group who need to file a tax return next year will need to renew their ITINs. The renewal period begins Oct. 1, 2016.
  • Expiring ITINs. ITINs issued before 2013 will begin expiring this year, and taxpayers will need to renew them on a rolling basis. The first ITINs that will expire under this schedule are those with middle digits of 78 and 79 (Example: 9XX-78-XXXX). The renewal period for these ITINs begins Oct. 1, 2016. The IRS will mail letters to this group of taxpayers starting in August to inform them of the need to renew their ITINs if they need to file a tax return and explain steps they need to take. The schedule for expiration and renewal of ITINs that do not have middle digits of 78 and 79 will be announced at a future date.

Please see Renewal of ITIN for further information.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DS30

It depends but if you are not required to renew her ITIN, then you will be able to use her ITIN to claim her as a dependent on your tax return this year.

The IRS is requiring some taxpayers with a prior Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to renew their ITINs. Under a recent change in law, any ITIN not used on a tax return at least once in the past three years will expire on Jan. 1, 2017. In addition, any ITIN with middle digits of either 78 or 79 (9NN-78-NNNN or 9NN-79-NNNN) will also expire on that date. If your ITIN does not meet these requirement, you will be able to use it without renewing.

According to the IRS, there are two key groups of ITIN holders who may need to renew an ITIN so it will be in effect for returns filed in 2017: 

• Unused ITINs. ITINs not used on a federal income tax return in the last three years (covering 2013, 2014, or 2015) will no longer be valid to use on a tax return as of Jan. 1, 2017. ITIN holders in this group who need to file a tax return next year will need to renew their ITINs. The renewal period begins Oct. 1, 2016.
  • Expiring ITINs. ITINs issued before 2013 will begin expiring this year, and taxpayers will need to renew them on a rolling basis. The first ITINs that will expire under this schedule are those with middle digits of 78 and 79 (Example: 9XX-78-XXXX). The renewal period for these ITINs begins Oct. 1, 2016. The IRS will mail letters to this group of taxpayers starting in August to inform them of the need to renew their ITINs if they need to file a tax return and explain steps they need to take. The schedule for expiration and renewal of ITINs that do not have middle digits of 78 and 79 will be announced at a future date.

Please see Renewal of ITIN for further information.

I have an ITIN with middle digits 94. However, the ITIN was issued after 2013. Would this ITIN still be required to renew?

I have an ITIN with middle digits 94. However, the ITIN was issued after 2013. Would this ITIN still be required to renew?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Not if you have been using it. The IRS states in  IRS Notice 2016-48 : Once renewed, an ITIN will remain in effect unless it is not used on a tax return for three consecutive years.

@szie21707

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies