Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way around the error that Payer's Federal EIN is invalid for e-filing if I know the EIN is correct and has worked in past? There are no extra spaces/characters

I have reconfirmed multiple times that the EIN on my 1099-NEC is correct and have used it in prior years on 1099-MISC.  But TurboTax is saying it is invalid for electronic filing. I have deleted and re-entered the 1099 completely and re-entered the EIN multiple times.  There are no errors in it.  What can I do to make it work with e-filing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Is there a way around the error that Payer's Federal EIN is invalid for e-filing if I know the EIN is correct and has worked in past? There are no extra spaces/characters

Sounds like a mismatch of the EIN number and the business name control.   The name control is normally the 1st four letters of a business' name.  If you have the letter you received from the IRS when your EIN was assigned or any recent correspondence from the IRS, the business name on the 1099-NEC should be the same.  Did you change the business name?  Do you need to add a DBA for a new business name?  Just sounds like there is a mismatch between your EIN and the name control the IRS has for the business.

Thanks but I am not the payer so it’s not my EIN. That said, I have confirmed the information is correct and it appears to be a glitch between TurboTax and IRS.

I have this problem today, 4/11/21 - is this still not fixed?

Unfortunately still not fixed. Requires you to mail in all returns or go to another service/accountant without this glitch.

OTernian
Returning Member

I went round with this for an hour: trying, submitting, calling the bank, calling intuit, checking and validating.  I knew the number was correct.  Then it occurred to me that the number being imported into the form is from a different character set (web dev thing) and character sets can look the same but aren't the same so validity checks break.  So I selected and copied the number (same number) from the top - web page - box and pasted it into the form box below.  It worked!

Hope that helps someone

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies