Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hudsonqd

Is it possible for me to file for my deceased mother or should I even worry about filing hers because she is deceased?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Is it possible for me to file for my deceased mother or should I even worry about filing hers because she is deceased?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes.

You can and should file  a tax return for your deceased mother.

To file a tax return for a decedent, in the My Info section of TurboTax, when entering the information for the decedent, click Yes on the line I'm preparing this return for Taxpayer, who has passed away, then fill in the date of death. 

Please read this TurboTax article.

Please also read this IRS document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am not a tax expert but unless there's a lot of money involved, I would not bother. It's not your responsibility.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes. It's important to follow the advice of our Tax Expert @MinhT1.  You can check the filing requirement for your mother based on her income and age using the link below.  IF she is below the filing requirement, meaning taxable income amount, then and only then can you choose not to file it.  It's important you are confident in your decision. Use the links below to verify.

@hudsonqd 

Please accept my condolences; I faced the same challenge 10 years ago.

The responsibility for filing the Income Tax Return of a deceased person depends on how that person filed in the previous Tax Year.  If she filed a Joint 2021 Tax Return, assumably with her spouse and the spouse survives her, then the spouse must file a Joint 2022 Tax Return listing your mother as having deceased in 2022.  If your mother was a widow, then the responsibility for filing her 2022 Tax Return rests with the Executor of her Will or her Estate.  It's rather easy, straight-forward, and uncomplicated; if your mother was "elderly" it might result in a refundable credit.

In general, the personal representative of a deceased person has the duty to file a final tax return.  That would be the executor, or some other terminology in your state.  If you are not the personal representative, you may need to go to probate court to get appointed.

The person's debts and taxes must be paid before the rest of their estate is distributed to family or other heirs.  If your mother owes tax and it is not paid before the rest of her estate is distributed, the IRS can collect the taxes from the heirs, and while the IRS normally has 3 years to audit a taxpayer, that clock starts when the return is filed, so if a return is never filed, the clock never starts.

It is possible that no tax return is required, if the person's only income is non-taxable social security, or their other taxable income is less than their standard deduction.  That will depend on her particular situation. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

I am very sorry for your loss, I extend my condolences.

You should file the tax return for you deceased mother.

To file a tax return for a decedent, in the My Info section of TurboTax, when entering the information for your Mother, click Yes on the line "I'm preparing this return for Taxpayer, who has passed away, then fill in the date of death.

Click here for IRS Guidance on whether you need to file a return for a deceased family member, click on begin and follow the prompts.

Click here for information for additional information on filing tax returns for deceased family members. 

Click here for IRS guidance on filing a final return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies