Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS pulled my payment twice

I have researched this and this is how this happens: Normally when you hand someone a check, it is scanned and becomes an image check which is settled through the check 21 system back to your bank. But when you write a check to the IRS it is converted to an ACH transfer because this is cheaper to process. The Federal Reserve has a structure called the Debit Gateway where this is occurs and there is also a system that checks for duplicate transactions to prevent exactly what happened to me - a withdrawl from my account first as a image check (check21) and then later again as a ACH. The IRS has nothing to do with all this - they just see what the Federal Reserve reports to the,m. The only reason I wrote a check was  because my return kept getting spit back due to an AGI problem  when I tried to do it electronically. Moral of the story, avoid writing a check  because it adds extra steps in processing and increases the chance of something going wrong.

I did not authorize the IRS to do a direct debit. I don’t even know how to do that. I will take your advice though. Going forward, it’s going to be paper checks and paper filing.

If you read my explaination you will see that  writing a paper check to the federal reserve is riskier than electronic transfer.

Looks like this is a no win situation. I filed electronically with electronic payment. But based on your response, presenting a check can be equally problematic. It’s disappointing that there are no good checks and balances in place to prevent multiple erroneous withdrawals.

There is always the possibillity of fraud.

You can go on the IRS website and sign into your account which will list all your payments and filings if you need proof.

Going forward always keep the power in your hands ... in the program choose to pay the balance due by check then   pay online directly  on the fed or state websites.  

This is the problem - only one of the payments made it to the IRS account. The Federal reserve did not catch the duplucate withdrawl and so did not report it to the IRS database. The IRS isn't aware of it..

I went onto the IRS website and both transactions are showing pending. One is shown as E-file and the other as On-line. I only used the Turbo tax software so have no idea why two different transactions

It is now 21/2 years after this issue began and I have gotten nowhere. I have tried to get my Senator's office to help out but they just add another level confusion to the issue. I was able to finally get a TAS agent to contact me and I sent them all my documentation. Meanwhile the IRS is threatening to seize assets for the amount they illegally withdrew from my account plus INT+P. Some time ago they were suposed to perform a Hard Core Tracer Function to locate the missing funds but there has been no follow through. No one seems to be able to do anything except pass the buck and nothing ever gets done. I have spent many many hours on the phone with the IRS. The missing funds need to be credited to my IRS account and any INT+P recalculated. I could hire a tax laywer but the cost might exceed what the IRS stole from me. This has been very stressful.

FYI: when you send a payment to the US treasury, in some way they are authorized to use the infomation on a paper check to perfom an ACH transfer for the amount on the check only.  If so, they should then cancel the check. I would think that cashing a check AND using the info to do ACH is still illegal. If you pay someone $8000 and they take $16,000 that called theft in anyone's book and you should be able to have them arrested.

Well this was bad advice and info. I cannot reach anyone at IRS about them taking out tax payment twice! I did an amended return, so IRS took out two payments instead of one. Turbotax is a pain trying to get help. I paid the extra money to TURBO for help and got NO HELP!! Turbo tax is just another pain in butt and useless for help. Do not bother paying the extra for their help because you won't get it!

I would say sign up for an account on the IRS website and check your balances. If the payments appear in your account then it should get corrected in time. If one or both payments are missing, then all I can suggest is to try to get the Tax Assistance Service to help you locate the missing funds. The US treasury cashes the checks and does ACH transfers but they have to report this accurately to the IRS. If they fail to do this, then the IRS is clueless and can't do anything about it. 

I am finding out that being honest to file an amended return is a mistake. I owed taxes, but they took out the amounts from original and also the amended. No one seems to understand how I can receive the extra money they took back. I do not owe double the amount. unreal. I will not use turbotax again for anything like this. They claim to help if you are audited, but if they cannot help with this, I would not bother paying for their HELP on anything else! 

This has nothing to do with Turbotax. The IRS is reponsible for balancing your account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies