Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS just extended the deadline to May 17. I filed my tax last night and entered Apr 15 as the date to pay the tax owe to IRS. Can we extend the payment date to May 17?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

IRS just extended the deadline to May 17. I filed my tax last night and entered Apr 15 as the date to pay the tax owe to IRS. Can we extend the payment date to May 17?

According to the IRS:

"Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. ... Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS:

"Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. ... Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling."

jpollock3

Seems like TurboTax should have sent an update the day this was announced!

If you owe taxes and do not pay them by the April deadline, the IRS will charge you a penalty for not paying them. The extension is for a filing delay, not a tax payment delay. I found that out in 2019 when I delayed my final tax payment until the new filing date. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Actually, the date and time to pay was both extended.  Individual taxpayers can also postpone federal income tax payments for the 2020 tax year due on April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed.

Extended date to file and pay

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies