Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Investments

I'm under the impression that if you make less than $600 as a W2 or 1099 employee you will not receive a tax form. If you receive less than $600 in income for investing do you have to claim that on taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
NicolasL
Employee Tax Expert

Investments

Thank you for your question.  Yes, you do have to claim all income received from investments even if it is less than $600. The $600 rule applies when you work as a self-employed or independent contractor and the company that you rendered the services to paid you less than $600 then they are not required to issue you a tax form 1099-NEC. That doesn't mean the income is not taxable. All income from all sources (Wages, self-employment, investments etc.) needs to be reported in the tax return.

STCR1
Returning Member

Investments

When Schwab took over TD Ameritrade I suddenly got 1099s with income from trades in my IRA . I never experienced this before since everything was just added to the balance.  I had a relatively large RMD which I donated all to charities before Dec 31 2023. I was told it had to do with the takeover. by Schwab?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Investments

You need to make sure that the investment is correctly coded with Schwab as an IRA. You should only be getting 1099 forms for distributions and rollovers. You need to contact them to correct any forms that were wrongly issued.

@STCR1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies