turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

Yes it is BULL*BLEEP*

180 days from what date? The date we got our return or from the date TAS said they would start working on these cases (which is August 10th). Because then we ain't seeing a dime till February. It's just insane. It wouldve been cool if they just sent everyone a debit card after everyone would visit their site with their current info and have security measures to verify people's identity. Idk they really should have had something better in place than this s**t pile.

I have filled a 8379 form 3 months ago. I'm wondering if I'm still going to get my payment. 

@InjuredSpouseN3kids

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/13-point-9-million-americans-to-receive-irs-tax-refund-interest-taxable...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Gisele: 

I have been attempting to contact the IRS for four months. I was disconnected 3 times yesterday b/c they were too busy to handle the call. 

Today? I waited 45 minutes on hold to be instructed to complete Form 8379 - Injured Spouse for tax year 2020. You are saying don't submit b/c it will confuse them.  Is there any formal process or knowledge of how we are to protect ourselves and receive the funds that are rightfully ours? 

Here's the other issue I see with this whole disastrous M-E-S-S: 

1. You submitted IS form 8379 for tax year 2019. That is the protection for 2019. 

2. The stimulus check should either: 

a. Have coverage from the 2019 Injured Spouse form 

OR 

b. Be regarded as income to a family and the IRS nor any other agency has the right to 'offset' as it is not reported income or part of the final report (your tax return) of what your income is for 2020. 

How many brains does it take to understand that those payments were made to support the American people and for the Treasury and the IRS to NOT implement offsets? I'm sure there will be new rules for this in the 2020 filing period, but hey! We need the money now! 

Sorry - doing a bit of venting, but the bottom line is that someone needs to correct this now - not in the next tax year. 

Yall I am so depressed! I was so hoping that some of us would start seeing deposits now. Is anyone taking this to TAS at the end of the month if there is no deposit?

IR-2020-192, August 25, 2020

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service will soon send catch-up Economic Impact Payment checks to about 50,000 individuals whose portion of the EIP was diverted to pay their spouse's past-due child support.

These catch-up payments are due to be issued in early-to-mid-September. They will be mailed as checks to any eligible spouse who submitted Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, along with their 2019 federal income tax return, or in some cases, their 2018 return. These spouses do not need to take any action to get their money. The IRS will automatically issue the portion of the EIP that was applied to the other spouse's debt.

The IRS is aware that some individuals did not file a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, and did not receive their portion of the EIP for the same reason above. These individuals also do not need to take any action and do not need to submit a Form 8379. The IRS does not yet have a time frame but will automatically issue the portion of the EIP that was applied to the other spouse's debt at a later date.

Affected taxpayers can check the status of their Payment by using the Get My Payment tool, available only on IRS.gov.

For more information, see the Receiving My Payment section of the Frequently Asked Questions in the Economic Payment Information Center on IRS.gov.

@Dhutch05 Thank you for posting that information in this thread.  It should come as welcome news to the folks who have been posting here.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

They are heartless . Taking 4 months now for our stimulus to come is unbelievable. 
The use of that money is to help us in this pandemic . 

I am not getting my hopes up.

A few weeks ago the statement was that it would be handled by the end of August and to contact the local tax advocate if it isn't received by Sept. 1st. Now, it's the "middle to end of September"? I think it's time buying until it gets so close to the 2020 tax filing season the IRS will just tell us to claim it on our 2020 tax filing.

And it says to check the status of the date of payment using the get my payment tool and when I do that it still says April 15! GRRRRRRRRRRR

I JUST now called the tax offset number and it went from 2 withholds to 1!!  Yahoo. That’s progress. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies