Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

Hiiiii!!!

yes I check and only 1200 went to child supper so I guess mine will be on their way ! Hope we all get it soon!!!!!!! 

reekid
Returning Member

It shows a deposit date. We got a letter from the IRS about a week later stating it was offset.

Thanks for the update but they said half of the total stimulus. I hope they mean half of the $2400 because none of my children's portion should go his past due child support.  I should get my half plus the $500 for each of my children and if that does not happen we will definitely have a problem. It is bad enough we have to wait because of this mess. I tell you what is not waiting, my bills!

They have to fix that !!!!!

PEACH057

Hi! I am in the same situation. I filed my 2019 taxes as a married joint couple, with an 8379 injured spouse form. My taxes were files, accepted, and I received my portion of the return.

Now the stimulus package - I received a letter  from the US Treasury advising they took exactly half of what my family was owed (2 adults, 3 kids) - $1950.

Every where I read says to file the 8379 again, but all offices are closed so this wont do any good. The letter I received even states to file the 8379...you would think they would be more specific and say "File the 8379 if you did NOT file it with your original return"....SO CONFUSED. To note, I have not received my portion either (estimated deposit date was 4/30.

Gidg

I filed back in beginning of February 2020 and I sent the form 8379 with it and I still have not received my federal return and yes they took my part of stimulus which is going to take god knows how long to get back. Anyone have any idea how much longer I have to wait for my federal return? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

There is a delay in processing the returns as the IRS is not processing paper returns at the moment due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.  

IRS operations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I checked my husbands child support account this morning. His daughters mom got $1450 from our stimulus. So I am going to guess the other $1450 will eventually get sent to me. 

we received two letters one in his bame

one in both of ours that $1450 was being offset. each letter said that and had a different TOP trace # so I thought she was getting two payments of $1450. She did not. Hope that helps some of you. 

Drie
Level 4

I just called Child Services in Connecticut they updated the prompt and stated that they haven’t received any money and the “injured spouse” is not liable for the debt. But, that it was intercepted due to filing jointly with our spouses. Regardless of what the government was wrong for allowing child support to be the only people able to take peoples money. They don’t want to miss out on one incentive at all and it sad.

Agreed! Funny how all other debts are basically forgiven right now. But oh no, not that child support. Those collection efforts are in full force. I'm hoping a class action lawsuit for the new wives and children pops up soon over this. 

Drie
Level 4

@Beebo7874 Yup, I am by no means saying men aren’t wrong for high balances. But, to the ones that do pay and actually work, and still take care of their children should be viewed as a working class citizens like everyone else that owes many different debts.

Hi Ladies ! 

So I just called again to Treasury and omg thank God for this Lady her name was Linda and she right away asked : you have injured spouse? She said IRS last week called and said that everyone with injured spouse will get their portion within 8 to 10 weeks. And it was a system error l. Just call TOP Al- Treasury Offset Program check the Agency who took your money and make sure only your husbands 1200$ was accredited in Chidl Support account!

we continue to find more info , hope it helps !  

DP01
Level 3

@Lolatalavera Hi there!  Check out my post from a week ago on page 24.  I spoke with Linda too!  Very nice lady!  At least her information is consistent!  If I'm calculating correctly...cheers to a happy 4th of July!😁

Gidg

I filed electronically and don’t know when I will be getting. I know the websites and I check daily!

I filed with my husband in 2018 we normally didnt get a return because the department of education intercepeted  our tax return due to a default on my student loans, which each year we just allowed it because they were being paid off, after covid19 hit and I and my husband both lost are job but there was a silverlining because they turn off the intercept so we got a small tax return this year and I filed married but seperate, because my husband owned back childsupport,. But once they sent out the stimulus checks the entire amount was intercepted $3400, why didnt they just take my husbands potion mine and the kids have nothing to do with it we have two children. Is there anything I can do

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies