Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

@Drie  we are all in the same boat for sure. Hang in there! Let's all keep each other updated here if we find out any new and helpful info. It's going to take time unfortunately but we'll get our money eventually.

Drie
Level 4

@TMarie918  I will for sure🙏

Lowzwife
Returning Member

Help to apply

I filed injured spouse in 2018, and 2019. The 2018 form was already processed. The letter that I received from the department of the treasury says I need to submit the injured spouse form, but you are saying I shouldn’t. I don’t know how to fill out the form for the stimulus payment. What do I do?? I really need my portion of the money that they took.

Drie
Level 4

@AshlynTorres  There is no need to send another form from what I was told. We unfortunately have to be patient. They said that the IRS is aware and is working on it. I haven’t received my regular taxes and my Stimulus along with my child’s was taken. As mad as I am I can only wait for this to be rectified.

I received a phone call from one of my Senators office today. I am sending her the letters I revived and my injured spouse form and she is contacting the IRS for me

Can I file an injured spouse form for the stimulus payment because I have not had any income, but they took what was to go to me and my children for my husband's back child support? I didn't know if I could file the form or not since I had no income. 

I wanted to update everyone on what I have found out today. Maybe this information will help you guys, as I am still fighting to get my refund. First of all, if you filed your taxes with TurboTax, and you did not receive your refund prior to the payment due date to TurboTax for filing fees, you had the monies removed from your account. It should have been approximately $84 and some change. I contacted TurboTax today, because my return stated I owed $120 and some change. They waived the other $40 fee since I was unable to procure my refund prior to the fees being due. (This was my positive for the day.)

Now, as for your refund and injured spouse, I would sincerely consider checking your refund account through the IRS website. (No, not Where's My Refund? That provides just simple information about the refund.) https://sa.www4.irs.gov/eauth/pub/login.jsp?Data=VGFyZ2V0TG9BPUY%253D&TYPE=33554433&REALMOID=06-000e...

Sign up for the IRS Get my Transcript Online. You will need something with an active account to finish the registration, so if you owe a care payment or some other account balance, have it ready while registering. Once you have logged into that, select from the drop down menu Adjusted Gross Income (customer # is not required). Click the button beside the drop down menu. Look at the section that states Record of Account Transcript. Select 2019. This opens a new window, and it has your record. Scroll down until you see Additional Tax Pending. Below that will provide information on when you're refund will be issued. If there is not anything below this, then they are still processing your refund. If there is, the date is when you're refund should be issued to you. It will be updated again when the monies are applied to child support with a second date and a non-IRS debt offset.

Now, my record states that my refund was due today, 4-22-20. So, I got up super early this morning, expecting the monies to be in the account. It was not. I waited until the Santa Barbara bank opened, and I repeatedly checked my account, anxiously awaiting when the deposit would hit. Well, since it did not hit by 12:00 EST, I went to find the website for Santa Barbara Bank. Here is the website: https://taxpayer.sbtpg.com/login You input your social security that appears first on your income taxes filed, your refund amount that was stated by TurboTax, and then select your filing status. This will tell if the IRS has issued them any funds, and any differences in the amount. According to the Santa Barbara Bank website, generally the IRS contacts them 2 days prior to depositing the monies, that way they can deposit the monies into the customer's account by the projected refund date, but it could take up to 1-2 business days after to process if necessary. Well, it showed I was issued $0 still. I freaked out, I'm not gonna lie. So, I called Santa Barbara Bank, and the representative told me that there may be an Offset. Okay, I know there is an offset, but my monies should have been dispersed today. She told me to call the US Treasure Offset to see what type of Offset there was. So, I did. This is where it gets interesting.

Treasure Offset Department: 1-800-304-3107

I had my husband to access his account information by phone, and it stated that he had 4 pending payments. It explained each payment, the date the monies were issued, and the agency with the offset and telephone number. They took ALL of our return for child support. I am currently on the phone with the child support department to try and get MY monies back. So, injured spouse did not HELP this year as it has in the past. The IRS issued all of our refund to the Child Support Department. Guys, I am absolutely devastated. I understand that my husband has an offset with his child support, but neither I nor my children owe any child support.

I will update everyone what has to be done to get your money back. You might want to see if this has happened to you too.  I am not sure where the error was at, but I have my entire tax record saved on my hard drive and proof that I filed the Injured Spouse Form. They even have the monies divided on the IRS website to show what should be going to the offset! So this makes zero sense to me. Praying I do not have to wait 6 months to get my money back! My bills cannot wait that long! 😢

No don't file another one. It will make it take even longer. If you file injured spouse for your taxes it is suppose to be good for the stimulus. 

That is they way you are suppose to do it

There are people working just not answering calls. Do to this pandemic they are doing the stimulus checks and efile taxes first. After that they will do all paper tax returns.

I Just emailed my senator (In Indiana). I'm hoping that someone in his office can possibly find out more information on the topic as I just don't think they really thought of all of us (or made us a priority) when the stimulus was agreed upon. In my research, the current stimulus related to child support and injured spouse are going off of stimulus rules from 2008 (per a link I saw on Congress.gov). 

I filed injured spouse back in February and we got the injur d spouse portion earlierthis month or the tail end of March. So I know that the injured spouse form was granted. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of waiting til the portion of the stimulus is refunded similar to the normal tax return. You would think in a world wide crisis that everybody would be taken care of. In most cases don't they realize that if the debt could be cleared it would be

I have amazing news for everyone. I just got off the phone with the dept. of Treasury offset dept and the error is being fixed. there was a coding error we will all get our money within 8-10 weeks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies