turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Independent contractor question.

I live and work In Washington state. I recently was hired as an independent contractor in WA. The staffing company that hired me is located in Michigan. Will I have to file taxes in both WA and Michigan or just WA since that is where I live and work? Thanks in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Independent contractor question.

I'm not an expert on Michigan taxation.

Having said that, in general, most states income tax that the income being taxed is physically earned in the state.  For example, professional sports;   many states & cities tax player etc., on the pro rata income earned on a game played in their state/city...

In some instances where a person resides in one state and performs work in another state, unless there is a reciprocity between those states, a person may have to pay tax in both states.

Based on what you stated, you live and work in WA...and the work you're performing as an independent contractor is in WA.  In my opinion, I don't think you would have to pay any tax to MI.  No physical presence in MI.  I don't know what the "staffing" company does, but you're not an employee of the staffing company, are you?  By virtue of the being and "independent contractor" you're not an employee.  Thus it would appear to me the "staffing company" is merely putting you in contact with someone who wants you to perform independent contractor work.

Again, my opinion only.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies