Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tdn1
Level 2

Incorrect 1099R, how to correct with Turbotax

My retirement financial institution has sent me an incorrect 1099R form. It included a direct trustee-to-trustee transfer from pre-tax IRA to pre-tax IRA as a taxable distribution. I have the corresponding documentation to show the 1099 R to be incorrect but cannot get the institution to correct the 1099 once it is issued (I am told that this is a common problem). Should I correct the info on the incorrect 1099R form when I enter it on Turbotax? How can I upload documentation/ comments onto Turbotax so that these would be part of the submitted federal and state tax return? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Enter the Form 1099-R without making any adjustments. 

After you enter(ed) the 1099-R, there is a page that asks "What Did You Do With The Money From [Retirement Plan]"? 

Be sure you indicate that you "rolled over all of this money to an IRA or other retirement account (or returned it to the same account)." See Screen Shot #2 below.

Answering these questions correctly will result in your distribution showing up as non-taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tdn1
Level 2

Thank you for your answer.

In Turbotax Premier 2020, after transferring the info contained in the 1099R, e.g. with "10" for box 1 (Gross distribution), "5" for box 2b (Taxable amount), and "G" for box 7 (Distribution code),  a window did appear asking whether the money was rolled over into a Roth 401 K or not. If I answered "yes", then the whole amount in box 2b, "5" will be taxed in the subsequent calculation, and if I answered "no", the whole amount in box 2b, "5" will not be taxed. The problem I have is that only a portion of box 2b, e.g. "3", was rolled over into a Roth 401K, and Turbotax does not have a provision for reporting correctly that fractional roll-over into a Roth 401K. I presume this is an unforeseen limitation of the Turbotax program.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

If you moved money from the 401k to partly traditional IRA and partly Roth IRA then you will need to split your 1099-R. 

Please see these instructions from user dmertz:

"For a code G Form 1099-R reporting a split distribution, the first Form 1099-R for the after-tax portion (the original Form 1099-R's box 5 amount) rolled over to the Roth IRA would have the box 5 amount in boxes 1 and 5 and a zero in box 2a.  In the follow-up, answer that the entire amount was deposited into a Roth IRA.  For the other Form 1099-R for the pre-tax amount rolled over to the traditional IRA, the Form 1099-R will have the remainder of the box 1 amount (original box 1 minus box 5) in box 1 and zeros in boxes 2a and 5.  In the follow-up, indicate than none of this money went to any kind of Roth account.  The boxes on the split Forms 1099-R should total to the amounts on the original Form 1099-R.  The rest of the entries on TurboTax's 1099-R forms should match the original". (401k was rolled to both a traditional IRA and a Roth)

tdn1
Level 2

Again thank you DavidD66 for your answer.

I was thinking more about it and may be the another approach would be to split the reporting of the 1099R into 2 so that I can isolate the incorrect information and correct it your way.

To illustrate, the actual 1099R from company A  reports a gross distribution of "10" with an incorrect taxable amount of "5", instead of the correct of "3". I will enter the 1099R as two components:

#1 will report a gross distribution of "3" with a taxable amount of "3" and answer that it all went to a Roth ...

... and #2 will report a gross distribution of "7" with a taxable amount of "2" and answer that none of it went to a Roth but to a Rollover IRA (which should be non taxable).

That way except for splitting the 1099R into two (which may not be exactly what the Turbotax direction says "report exactly") all the info otherwise is correct?

tdn1
Level 2

Thank you for your second answer.

I was thinking the same thing and typing a follow-up while you replied. "Great minds meet".

I take it that splitting the reporting of a single 1099R into two is OK with Turbotax reporting and IRS review, as long as the numbers contained in the split components, when aggregated together, are the same as the original 1099R.

I have a very busy 1099-r type 7 that  includes nua, taxable amount (cost basis) and box 5 has the after tax contributions which was rolled to Roth IRA. It seems TT thinks the box 5 amount is taxable. Is this another candidate for splitting my 1099 ?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

@RC519 To clarify, what is the distribution code in Box 7?

Box 7 has a 7 (normal distribution).

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You can correct this by going through the interview.

1. Select the 1099-R that you posted
  2. Confirm that is posted as on the 1099-R Including
    1. 7 in Box 7
    2. IRA box checked
  3. Do you have info in Box 2a or Box 2b? - No
  4. Do any of these situations apply to you? - None of these apply
  5. How much of the $5,000.00 was an RMD? - None of this withdrawal was an RMD
  6. Did you rollover all of this $5,000.00 (Box 1) to another retirement account?
    1. Yes, I rolled over $5,000.00 to another traditional IRA or retirement account (or returned it to the same account).
  7. Good news! You don’t owe taxes on your rollover

I have three "live" 1099 issues .. all with box 5 issues.

(sorry if this created more confusion)

This question is about a 1099 code 7 that has numbers in many boxes ..

The total in 1, taxable Cost Basis in 2, After Tax contributions in 5, NUA in 6, code 7 in 7.

Pretty sure I answered all the questions correctly at least a few times before coming here.

TurboTax took the box 5 amount and added it to the "Taxable at Conversion" amount in 

the IRA WorkSheet and on my 1040. I work in the interview mode, but check results in forms mode.

The above did not produce the desired results so I have since removed the box 5 amount and created a separate 1099 entry for that amount .. in order to get it entered correctly. So my question now is .. Is this okay to do .. splitting the 1099's .. I now have three (3) such instances on this years return? Details available on request. 

Hi,

I have a very similar problem to tdn1.  I initiated a trustee-to-trustee transfer of an inherited IRA.  Publication 590-A says this in the "Inherited From Someone Other Than Spouse" section.

"If you inherit a traditional IRA from anyone other than your deceased spouse, you can’t treat the inherited IRA as your own. This means that you can’t make any contributions to the IRA. It also means you can’t roll over any amounts into or out of the inherited IRA. However, you can make a trustee-to-trustee transfer as long as the IRA into which amounts are being moved is set up and maintained in the name of the deceased IRA owner for the benefit of you as beneficiary. See Pub. 590-B for more information."

The receiving IRA is set up in the name of the deceased IRA owner for the benefit of me as the beneficiary.  The problem is the sending institution issued me a 1099-R marked as follows.

Box 1 gross distribution:  full amount specified

Box 2a taxable amount: full amount specified

2b: X mark

total distribution: X mark

Boxes 3, 4, 5 and 6: blank or zero

Box 7:  4 (death)

IRA / SEP / Simple:  X mark

All state boxes (with the exception of the state code) blank

TurboTax treats this as a taxable distribution and does not provide any option to say "this 1099-R represents a trustee-to-trustee transfer of an inherited IRA" which should result in the box 1 or box 2a amounts being treated as non-taxable.  This is not a "rollover" but a trustee-to-trustee transfer to an IRA specifically set up to be an inherited IRA.  

I have the statement from the receiving institution saying a direct transfer (not a rollover,) for the full amount took place but don't yet have a form 5498 from them as that won't be available till May.

If I enter the 1099-R as-is I'm liable for tax on the full amount (sitting in a beneficiary IRA.)  Don't enter the 1099 and, if and when the IRS asks, provide them with the story and supporting documentation?   Enter a "corrected" 1099 but how?  If I leave the IRA/SEP/Simple box X any amount in box 1 or 2a is taxable.  Enter a corrected 1099 with zero amounts in 1 and 2a?  Suck it up and get the money out of the IRA before the deadline and pay the tax at a fairly high marginal rate?

Can TurboTax be changed to recognize the type of transfer described in  590-B? 

Thank you

dmertz
Level 15

@skfromaz2 , a trustee-to-trustee transfer of an inherited IRA is nonreportable and you should not have received a Form 1099-R for this transaction.  TurboTax knows that a reported distribution from an IRA inherited by a non-spouse beneficiary is not permitted to be rolled over, so it will not ask you if you moved the money to another retirement account.

Contact the original IRA custodian to obtain a corrected Form 1099-R showing that $0 was distributed.

(Banks treating non-reportable trustee-to-trustee transfers as reportable is a common bank error due to local branch employees being insufficiently trained in preparing the bank's forms for such transactions.)

Thanks.  I forgot to mention that I did call the sending institution about modifying the 1099 and they refused to reissue but at the time I did not have the term (non-reportable) to use in the request.   I'll give them another call saying that they knew it was custodian-to-custodian and the 1099 should reflect that.  If they refuse to re-issue then I'll file with a "corrected 1099" plus 4852.  

tdn1
Level 2

The issue I had with an incorrect 1099R was for last year's tax, but I still remember the following:

1. Once financial institutions finalized and sent out the paperwork they will rarely go back and correct it. I spent much time escalating the matter within the institution until I realized it was a great waste of time. An individual issue will not carry much weight once their books are closed.

2. I actually called up the IRS. The hold/wait time was very long, but once I got someone on the line, he was most helpful. The IRS works on the same information sent to me, in my case 1099's and 5498's for Rollover transfers & contributions, and Roth conversions. He traced out with me where all the funds mentioned on the 1099 went and if, at the end, all the funds movements are accounted for, and match the amounts in the 1099's and 5498's, the IRS is satisfied. He advised me on how to proactively explain in the return the manner in which 1099 classification was incorrect. Even with time spent being on hold, it was the most productive time I spent preparing for last year's tax. It really changed my perception as to how helpful the staff at the IRS could be.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies